How Do You Construct Excited States in a Two-Boson Harmonic Oscillator?

In summary: Each of them have well-defined and different energies for the particles. The full state is not an energy eigenstate.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a one-dimensional harmonic oscillator with two bosons and the construction of the first and second excited states. It is determined that the first excited state is a pure state and that the second excited state is doubly degenerate. There is a symmetric linear combination of the states |0,2>, |2,0>, and |1,1>, as well as an orthogonal and symmetric combination of these states. The full state is not an energy eigenstate and can be represented as a combination of different energy levels for the particles.
kuy
hy physics forum, I am doing an advanced qm course, but i still have some doubts about the correct formalism and so on..
so i have this problem of a one-dimensional harm. oscillator including 2 bosons.
the hamiltonian would thus be ## \hat{H}=1/2 (\hat{p_1}^2+\hat{p_2}^2+\omega \hat{x_1}^2+\omega \hat{x_2}^2)##
the ground state would be ## |0,0> ## and i have to build first and second excited states.
so my question is, would the first excited state just be ## 1/\sqrt{2} (|1,0> + |0,1>) ## or do i have to consider the pure states ##|1,0>## and ##|0,1>##too? and how would i write that properly with ladder operators?
thanks for your help
kuy

Physics news on Phys.org
At first, ## \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} (|1.0\rangle+|0,1\rangle) ## is a pure state too!
And yes, this is the first excited state but each of ##|1,0\rangle## and ##|0,1\rangle## can't be because the particles are indistinguishable so you can't know which one is excited.
Each of the oscillators has its own Hilbert space. But when you write things in terms of ##|1,0\rangle## and ##|0,1\rangle##, it means you're considering the tensor product of the two Hilbert spaces and so your operators should be product operators too. So if you want to raise ## |0,0\rangle##, it means you should use the raising operator associated to the tensor product space which is ## \hat a^\dagger=\hat a_1^\dagger \otimes \hat I_2+\hat I_1 \otimes \hat a_2^\dagger ##(some may write it simply as ## \hat a^\dagger=\hat a_1^\dagger+\hat a_2^\dagger ## but you should be careful each operator acts on which Hilbert space.) , where ##\hat I_1 ## and ## \hat I_2 ## are identity operators in the two Hilbert spaces and ## \hat a_i^\dagger |0\rangle_i=C^{(i)}_+ |1\rangle_i ## and e.g. ## \hat I_1 \otimes \hat a_2^\dagger |0,0\rangle=C_+^{(2)} |0,1\rangle ##.

Likes kuy
wow, this answer was far better than i hoped for :D thanks Shyan, that brought some clarity for me into undistinguishable particles

ok i have another question: if i make the second excited state with this tensor product raising operator, i get a linear combination of ## |2,0>##, ## |0,2>## and ## |1,1>##. Is that THE excited state? i thought ## 1/\sqrt{2} (|2,0> + |0,2>)## and ## |1,1>## would be separate states

kuy said:
Is that THE excited state?
Yes, that's it. Its symmetric so is proper for two bosons. Also its what the raising operator gives us.
But of course you can have a linear combination of ## |0,2\rangle \ ,|2,0\rangle \ , |1,1\rangle## that is orthogonal to the one you got but that would be an antisymmetric linear combination which is used for fermions. Also this is what you get if you raise an antisymmetric first excited state. Of course there may be other linear combinations but they won't be proper base states because we need either symmetric or antisymmetric wave-functions.
kuy said:
i thought 1/2√(|2,0>+|0,2>) 1/\sqrt{2} (|2,0> + |0,2>) and |1,1> |1,1> would be separate states
Why?

kuy said:
Is that THE excited state?
No. The second excited state is doubly degenerate.

Shyan said:
But of course you can have a linear combination of ## |0,2\rangle \ ,|2,0\rangle \ , |1,1\rangle## that is orthogonal to the one you got but that would be an antisymmetric linear combination which is used for fermions.
There is also a linear combination that is orthogonal and symmetric.

Shyan said:
Why?
if you meusure the energy of one particle in the ##|1,1>## state it would be different to one of the ##|2,0>## state, but the total energy is the same.
i was confused because i thought, if a energy level is degenerate, there have to be several states. so is a degenerate state always a linear combination of states with different properties?
DrClaude said:
There is also a linear combination that is orthogonal and symmetric.
or do i need 2 linear combinations for a doubly degenerate state?

Last edited:
You can use ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \left| 0, 2 \right\rangle + \left| 2, 0 \right\rangle \right)## and ##\left| 1, 1 \right\rangle## as the two orthogonal degenerate states.

Related to How Do You Construct Excited States in a Two-Boson Harmonic Oscillator?

1. What is a 2 boson harmonic oscillator?

A 2 boson harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model in quantum mechanics that describes the motion of two identical particles (bosons) interacting with a potential energy function that follows the shape of a harmonic oscillator. It is often used to study the behavior of bosons in a variety of physical systems.

2. How does a 2 boson harmonic oscillator differ from a single boson harmonic oscillator?

The main difference between a 2 boson harmonic oscillator and a single boson harmonic oscillator is that in the former, the two particles interact with each other through a potential energy function, whereas in the latter, the particle does not interact with any other particles. This results in different energy levels and behavior for the two systems.

3. What is the significance of studying 2 boson harmonic oscillators?

Studying 2 boson harmonic oscillators allows scientists to better understand the behavior of bosons in various physical systems. This is important because bosons make up a significant portion of matter in the universe and their behavior can have a significant impact on the properties and dynamics of a system.

4. Can 2 boson harmonic oscillators be applied to real-life systems?

While the 2 boson harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model, it has been successfully applied to real-life systems, such as superfluid helium and laser systems. It has also been used to explain the behavior of certain materials at very low temperatures.

5. Are there any limitations to the 2 boson harmonic oscillator model?

Like any theoretical model, the 2 boson harmonic oscillator has its limitations. It assumes that the particles are identical, non-interacting, and follow the laws of quantum mechanics. In reality, particles may have different properties and interactions, which may affect their behavior. Additionally, the model does not take into account the effects of external factors such as temperature and pressure.