How do you convert BTU/lbF into J/kgK?

• Thread starter jamesfirst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversion from BTU/lbF to J/kgK should be 1055/(1.2046*5/9)*255.928, which equals 4186 J/kgK. The mistake was confusing a 1 degree F temperature difference with a temperature of 1° F.
jamesfirst
I know 1BTU = 1055J
1lb = 1/2.2046 kg
1 F = 255.928 K

then 1 BTU/lbF should be 1055/(1.2046)*255.928. But I get 9 plugging this in
the value is suppose to be 4186 J/kgK. this is the specific heat of water

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesfirst said:
I know 1BTU = 1055J
1lb = 1/2.2046 kg
1 F = 255.928 K

then 1 BTU/lbF should be 1055/(1.2046)*255.928. But I get 9 plugging this in
the value is suppose to be 4186 J/kgK. this is the specific heat of water
You've made a goofy mistake here. You're confusing a 1 degree F temperature difference with a temperature of 1° F.

On the Fahrenheit scale, there are 180 degrees separating the F.P. of water and its B.P. On the Kelvin scale, there are 100 degrees between the same two temperatures.
Thus, a temperature difference of 1°F = a temperature difference of 100 / 180 = 5/9 °K.

Try again to make your conversion.

Likes jamesfirst
hey it works!
thanks. I've been confusing it with the temperature Fahrenheit the whole time ...

1. How do I convert BTU/lbF into J/kgK?

To convert BTU/lbF (British Thermal Units per Pound Fahrenheit) to J/kgK (Joules per Kilogram Kelvin), you can use the following formula: J/kgK = (BTU/lbF * 1055.06) / 1.8. This will give you the equivalent value in J/kgK.

2. What is the conversion factor for BTU/lbF to J/kgK?

The conversion factor for BTU/lbF to J/kgK is 1055.06. This factor is used to convert the units from the imperial system to the metric system.

3. How do I convert BTU/lbF to J/kgK using a calculator?

If you have a calculator, you can simply multiply the value in BTU/lbF by 1055.06 and then divide the result by 1.8. The final value will be in J/kgK.

4. Why do we need to convert BTU/lbF to J/kgK?

BTU/lbF and J/kgK are two different units of measurement for energy and temperature, respectively. In order to compare or use these values in equations, they need to be in the same unit system. Converting between the two allows for easier analysis and calculations.

5. Can I use an online converter to convert BTU/lbF to J/kgK?

Yes, there are many online converters available that can easily convert BTU/lbF to J/kgK. Simply input the value in BTU/lbF and the converter will give you the equivalent value in J/kgK. Just be sure to check the accuracy and reliability of the converter before using it.