How do you decide whether to use cosine or sine when calculating torque?

• Thread starter Tybstar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the book says to solve this equation by multiplying the perpendicular component of the force vector to the lever arm, or by multiplying the perpendicular component of the lever arm to the force (indicating these two methods are equivilent).
Tybstar

Homework Statement

I'm working through a problem:

"A particle of mass m is attached to a rod of negligible mass and length L. The rod is attached to the ground at point O. If the rod makes an angle [tex]\Theta[/tex] with the horizontal as it falls, calculate the torque about point O.

Here's a rough sketch of the diagram:

scmWd.png

My book says that the equation for torque is [tex]\tau=Frsin\theta[/tex] where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the force and position vector.

The answer for this is [tex]Lmg cos\theta[/tex], but I don't understand why it's cosine. The book answer says to solve it in one of two ways: by multiplying the perpendicular component of the force vector to the lever arm, or by multiplying the perpendicular component of the lever arm to the force (indicating these two methods are equivilent).

How do you decide whether to use cosine or sine?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tybstar said:
How do you decide whether to use cosine or sine?

You basically do it like they said in your book

Tybstar said:
by multiplying the perpendicular component of the force vector to the lever arm

If you do it like this, the component of the force perpendicular to the lever arm is mgcosθ. Do you understand how the force is split into this components and a sine component parallel to the arm?

Tybstar said:
or by multiplying the perpendicular component of the lever arm to the force (indicating these two methods are equivilent).

The length of the lever arm perpendicular to the downward force mg is Lcosθ. This one should be easier to see.

rock.freak667 said:
If you do it like this, the component of the force perpendicular to the lever arm is mgcosθ. Do you understand how the force is split into this components and a sine component parallel to the arm?

Thanks for the help.

I do understand how the force is split with cosine and sine. My problem is figuring out which angle to use. Is it similar to assigning force vectors in an inclined plane diagram?

Thanks!

Tybstar said:
My book says that the equation for torque is [tex]\tau=Frsin\theta[/tex] where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the force and position vector.

This equation sums it up pretty nicely. Where's the force vector (hint: the force is gravity)? Where's the position vector (hint: it's the vector from the pivot to the object)? Which angle is the angle between them?

Related to How do you decide whether to use cosine or sine when calculating torque?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What units is torque measured in?

Torque can be measured in various units, but the most commonly used unit is Newton-meters (N∙m). Other units include foot-pounds (ft∙lb) and inch-pounds (in∙lb).

4. What are some real-life examples of torque?

Some examples of torque in everyday life include using a wrench to loosen a bolt, opening a door by turning the doorknob, and pedaling a bicycle.

5. How does torque relate to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion. The greater the torque applied to an object, the faster it will rotate. Conversely, if no torque is applied, an object will remain at rest or continue to rotate at a constant speed.