How do you explain a plane wavefront based on huygens' principle?

In summary, when assuming a plane wave moving in the x-direction, Huygens' principle states that each point on the wavefront should act as a source. This would result in the plane wavefront becoming spherical, as shown in the example. However, the word "all" is crucial in fully understanding this concept.
iVenky
Let's assume a plane wave going in the x-direction. Going by Huygens' principle, each point on the wavefront should act like a source. If that's the case, wouldn't plane wavefront become spherical like shown below? I am so confused
1605233433744.png

1605233302325.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes vanhees71, davenn, DaveE and 2 others
Ok, I see, the wavefront touches "all" wavelets. I missed the word "all" before and that makes the difference in my understanding

Thanks.

Likes vanhees71, davenn and Delta2

1. What is Huygens' principle?

Huygens' principle is a theory proposed by Dutch scientist Christiaan Huygens in the 17th century. It states that every point on a wavefront is a source of secondary spherical wavelets, which combine to form a new wavefront. This principle is used to explain the behavior of light and other waves.

2. How does Huygens' principle explain a plane wavefront?

According to Huygens' principle, a plane wavefront can be explained by imagining it as a large number of point sources, each producing spherical wavelets. These wavelets combine and interfere with each other to create a new plane wavefront that travels in the same direction as the original wavefront.

3. Why is Huygens' principle important in understanding wave behavior?

Huygens' principle is important because it helps us understand how waves propagate and interact with each other. By breaking down a wavefront into smaller wavelets, we can better explain phenomena such as diffraction, refraction, and interference.

4. Are there any limitations to Huygens' principle?

Yes, there are some limitations to Huygens' principle. It does not fully explain the behavior of all types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves. It also does not take into account the effects of absorption and dispersion.

5. How is Huygens' principle related to the wave theory of light?

Huygens' principle is a key component of the wave theory of light, which states that light is a type of wave that travels through space. The principle helps explain how light waves can travel in a straight line and how they can bend and diffract when encountering obstacles or passing through different mediums.