How do you find how far an object will go?

• Thread starter angiep410
  • Start date
In summary, the projectile travels 172.0 m before hitting the ground, with a maximum height of 191 m. The equation for the vertical motion of a projectile as a function of Vo, Yo, a, and time can be used to calculate the range X of the projectile.
angiep410
A projectile is shot from the edge of a cliff 172.0 m above the ground level with an initial speed of 66.00 m/s at an angle of 68.00 ° with the horizontal.
What is the range X of the projectile as measured from the base of the cliff?

I would normally use a range equation, but I didn't think that would work here since the object is not coming back to the starting height.

Physics news on Phys.org
For this, you can calculate the time required to reach its maximum height in the projectile. Moreover, after you have done this, you can calculate the time required to reach its minimum point from its maximum. Adding these two times will give you the time for the entire route. You can then apply this time in the horiztonal direction as its velocity.

sandy.bridge said:
For this, you can calculate the time required to reach its maximum height in the projectile. Moreover, after you have done this, you can calculate the time required to reach its minimum point from its maximum. Adding these two times will give you the time for the entire route. You can then apply this time in the horiztonal direction as its velocity.

the time it takes for the object to hit the ground is 14.8 seconds and the maximum height is 191 m. Now what do I do?

angiep410 said:
A projectile is shot from the edge of a cliff 172.0 m above the ground level with an initial speed of 66.00 m/s at an angle of 68.00 ° with the horizontal.
What is the range X of the projectile as measured from the base of the cliff?

I would normally use a range equation, but I didn't think that would work here since the object is not coming back to the starting height.

angiep410 said:
the time it takes for the object to hit the ground is 14.8 seconds and the maximum height is 191 m. Now what do I do?

How did you calculate those numbers? What equations did you use? If you show us your work, it would be easier to help you.

they were given to me

angiep410 said:
they were given to me

Part of the Homework Help Template that you were provided when you started this thread (and you deleted) asks for the Relevant Equations. What are the Relevant Equations for motion under the influence of a constant acceleration (gravity)?

And what is the equation for the vertical motion of a projectile as a function of Vo, Yo, a, and time? How would you apply that equation to this question? And use the hints you were given in Post #2...

1. How do you measure the distance an object will travel?

The distance an object will travel can be measured by using a measuring tool, such as a ruler or a tape measure. The object's starting point and ending point should be clearly marked, and the distance between the two points can then be measured.

2. What factors affect how far an object will go?

The distance an object will go is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The mass and shape of the object can also play a role in determining the distance it will travel.

3. Can you calculate the distance an object will go without actually launching it?

Yes, the distance an object will go can be calculated using mathematical equations. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and other factors mentioned above. However, the actual distance an object will go may differ slightly from the calculated value due to external factors such as air resistance.

4. Is there a limit to how far an object can go?

In theory, there is no limit to how far an object can go. As long as it has enough initial velocity and is not affected by external forces, it will continue to travel indefinitely. However, in reality, factors such as air resistance and gravity will eventually slow down and stop the object's motion.

5. How can you improve the accuracy of measuring the distance an object will go?

To improve the accuracy of measuring the distance an object will go, multiple trials can be conducted and the average distance can be calculated. Using more precise measuring tools and controlling external factors such as air resistance can also help improve accuracy. Additionally, using mathematical equations to calculate the distance can provide a more accurate result.