How do you find the difference in the angle of refraction?

In summary, the problem is asking for the difference in the refracted angle between an orange and violet ray of light passing through a piece of crown glass at an angle of incidence of 36.7 degrees. The indices of refraction for orange and violet are 1.522 and 1.538, respectively. Using Snell's law, the difference in refracted angles can be calculated by applying the formula for each color separately.
angiep410

Homework Statement

Sunlight strikes a piece of crown glass at an angle of incidence of 36.7 degrees. Calculate the difference in the angle of refraction between a orange (610. nm) and a violet (410. nm) ray within the glass. The indices of refraction for the orange and the violet are n = 1.522 and n = 1.538, respectively

Homework Equations

I know that the angle of incidence = the angle of reflection

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to solve this with the information I'm given. I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is REFRACTION you need the relationship between Sini and Sinr

technician said:
This is REFRACTION you need the relationship between Sini and Sinr

so then I'm even more confused. So I have sin(36.7)= ? How do I set it up?

angiep410 said:

I know that the angle of incidence = the angle of reflection

This shows me that you're not quite sure what you're being asked.

In every material, the 'n' value (index of refraction) is a function of wavelength. Each wavelength in the visible range of light is received by our eyes as different colours.
The question is asking you: If a beam of white light (containing all wavelengths) strikes the glass at angle ∅, what will be the difference in the refracted angle between orange and violet.

All you have to do is apply snell's law twice (to each colour), and compare the answers.

But I'm given that the wavelength of orange is 610 nm and the indices of refraction is n = 1.522 and the wavelength of violet is 410 nm and the indices of refraction is n = 1.538. So How do I set it up if I'm given all of this information?

1. What is the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction is the angle between the incident ray (incoming light ray) and the refracted ray (light ray after passing through a medium).

2. How do you measure the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction can be measured using a protractor by drawing a line perpendicular to the surface of the medium at the point where the light ray enters and exits. The angle between these two lines is the angle of refraction.

3. What factors affect the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction is affected by the properties of the medium the light is passing through, such as its density and refractive index. It is also affected by the angle of incidence (angle between the incident ray and the normal line) and the wavelength of the light.

4. How do you find the difference in the angle of refraction between two mediums?

To find the difference in the angle of refraction between two mediums, you first need to measure the angle of refraction in each medium. Then, subtract the smaller angle from the larger angle to find the difference.

5. Why is the angle of refraction important?

The angle of refraction is important because it helps us understand how light behaves when it passes through different mediums. It also plays a crucial role in determining the amount of bending or distortion that occurs when light travels from one medium to another, which has practical applications in fields such as optics and engineering.