How Do You Solve Difficult Engineering Statics Problems?

In summary, the person is seeking help with a difficult engineering statics problem and is asking for guidance on how to calculate the forces at various points. They suggest setting up a static equilibrium calculation and using principles of tension and force to solve for the unknown values. The speaker also mentions considering the vertical component at point C and tracing out the forces in each member for further calculations.
ODU
Please Help !Engineering Statics problem

i got a hard professor, been tryin to work out this problem for days. still stuck, please him. i don't know wat to do,

Attachments

• drawing.JPG
    drawing.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 413
  • question.txt
    934 bytes · Views: 399
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that force directly at point A? Is that a second force at the bottom?
If I remember correctly, you usually have to find the spot where only components of tension and force in one direction can be calculated. Like, if that force is directly at point A then set up a static equilibrium calculation at point a, where member ab has no compression or tension directly due to the force. That way the member ad(you don't have this point marked) must be compressed.
And 600lb = adsin(45), solve for ad making note of compression, then go back to point a and do a static equilibrium calculation for the horizontal components, now knowing ad, you can find ab.

If that force is at some random point along that member, then I think you can find the vertical component at c because it looks to me that c is the only thing holding that balcony up. The same principles of static equilibrium will allow you to trace out the forces in each member.

Hopefully all that I said helps and is correct.

I understand that you are struggling with a difficult Engineering Statics problem and are seeking help. It can be frustrating when you are unable to solve a problem, especially when you have been working on it for days. However, it is important to remember that seeking help is a sign of strength and determination to overcome challenges.

I suggest reaching out to your professor or a teaching assistant for assistance. They are there to help and guide you through difficult concepts. You can also seek help from classmates or join a study group to work on the problem together. Sometimes, discussing the problem with others can provide new perspectives and help you approach it in a different way.

Additionally, make sure you have a good understanding of the fundamentals of Engineering Statics. Review your notes, textbook, and class materials to refresh your knowledge. Sometimes, going back to the basics can help you solve more complex problems.

Lastly, don't get discouraged. Engineering problems can be challenging, but with determination and persistence, you will be able to find a solution. Keep pushing through and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Best of luck to you!

Related to How Do You Solve Difficult Engineering Statics Problems?

1. What is Engineering Statics and why is it important?

Engineering Statics is a branch of engineering mechanics that deals with the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects. It is important because it forms the foundation for understanding more complex engineering concepts and helps engineers analyze and design structures and machines.

2. What are the main principles of Engineering Statics?

The main principles of Engineering Statics include Newton's laws of motion, equilibrium, and the concept of free body diagrams. These principles help engineers understand how forces act on objects and how to calculate and balance them to ensure stability and safety in structures and machines.

3. What are some common applications of Engineering Statics?

Engineering Statics is used in various fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, and structural engineering. It is applied in the design and analysis of buildings, bridges, machines, and other structures to ensure they can withstand the forces they will be subjected to.

4. What are some common types of problems encountered in Engineering Statics?

Some common types of problems in Engineering Statics include calculating forces acting on objects, determining equilibrium, analyzing trusses and frames, and solving for reactions in structures. These problems require a thorough understanding of the principles and equations of Engineering Statics.

5. What are some helpful tips for solving Engineering Statics problems?

Some helpful tips for solving Engineering Statics problems include drawing accurate free body diagrams, identifying all known and unknown variables, using appropriate equations and units, and checking for equilibrium and reasonableness of the answers. It is also important to practice and understand the fundamental principles thoroughly.