What is the Physics Behind a Rock Thrown on the Moon?

In summary, a rock is thrown vertically upward from the surface of the moon at a velocity of 24m/s and reaches a height of s=24t-0.8t^2 meters in t seconds. To find the rock's velocity and acceleration as functions of time, one must first find the first and second derivatives of s. To determine the time it took for the rock to reach its highest point, set the derivative equal to 0 or complete the square in the quadratic function. The height reached by the rock can be found by plugging the time from part (b) into the equation. To find when the rock reached half its maximum height, divide the height found in part (c) by 2 and solve for
jordan6292
a rock is thrown vertically upward fom the surface of the moon at a velocity of 24m/s(about 86km/h)reaches a height of s=24t-0.8t^2meters in t seconds.

(a)find the rocks velocity and acceleration as functions of time?(accleration of gravity on the moon)
(b)how long did it take the rock to reach its highest point?
(c)how high did the rock go?
(d)when did the rock reach half its maximum height?
(e)how long was the rock aloft?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, you can't expect us to solve the problem for you! Here are a few suggestions.

(a) Find the first and second derivatives of s of course.
(b) You can find that time by setting the derivative equal to 0 or, conversely, by completing the square in the quadratic function.
(c) Put the t from (b) in the equation.
(d) After finding the height in (c), divide by 2, put the s equal to that and solve for t. there will be two solutions, of course.
(e) Set the height equal to 0 and solve for t. Again there will be two solutions. It should be clear which is the one you want.

1. What is the first step in solving a word problem?

The first step in solving a word problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. This includes identifying the key information, determining what is being asked, and making note of any relevant equations or formulas.

2. How do I know which operation to use in a word problem?

The operation used in a word problem depends on the context of the problem. For example, if the problem involves finding the total amount of something, addition would be the appropriate operation. If the problem involves finding a missing value, such as in a proportion, you may need to use multiplication or division.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a word problem?

If you get stuck on a word problem, take a step back and re-read the problem. Make sure you have all the necessary information and try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

4. How do I check my answer to a word problem?

To check your answer to a word problem, you can plug your solution back into the original problem and see if it works. Another method is to solve the problem using a different approach or method to see if you get the same result.

5. What are some strategies for solving word problems?

Some strategies for solving word problems include reading the problem carefully, identifying key information, creating a visual representation (such as a diagram or chart), and breaking the problem into smaller parts. It can also be helpful to use trial and error or work backwards from the answer to find a solution.