How Does an Inductor's DC Behavior Affect Circuit Current Buildup?

In summary, the problem involves finding the current in a circuit with a resistor, inductor, and battery, after the switch is closed suddenly. The given values are the resistance of the resistor, inductance of the inductor, and voltage of the battery. The equations needed to solve the problem are I=I_max(1-e^(-t/T)) and T=L/R. The goal is to find I_max, which is the current in the circuit after it has reached its final value.
strawberrysk8

Homework Statement

Assume that resistor R has a resistance of 34.2 Ω, inductor L has an inductance of 152 mH (milli-Henry), and the battery has a voltage of 33.7 V. Also assume that the circuit elements are ideal.

If the switch S is closed suddenly, the time for the current to attain a value of 82.1 mA is...

Homework Equations

I=I_max(1-e^(-t/T))
T=L/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help finding I_max.

82.1 mA=I_max(1-e^(-t/(152/34.2)))

Why do they give me V?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi strawberrysk8,

strawberrysk8 said:

Homework Statement

Assume that resistor R has a resistance of 34.2 Ω, inductor L has an inductance of 152 mH (milli-Henry), and the battery has a voltage of 33.7 V. Also assume that the circuit elements are ideal.

If the switch S is closed suddenly, the time for the current to attain a value of 82.1 mA is...

Homework Equations

I=I_max(1-e^(-t/T))
T=L/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help finding I_max.

82.1 mA=I_max(1-e^(-t/(152/34.2)))

Why do they give me V?

I_max is the current in the circuit after the current has stopped changing (reached its final value). At that point, the inductor is not affecting the circuit (has no voltage drop across it). So how can you find I_max?

I would like to clarify that the given voltage (33.7 V) is not necessary for finding the maximum current in this scenario. The DC behavior of an inductor can be described by the equation I=I_max(1-e^(-t/T)), where I is the current, I_max is the maximum current, t is time, and T is the time constant, which is equal to L/R (inductance divided by resistance). Therefore, to find the maximum current, we can rearrange the equation to I_max=I/(1-e^(-t/T)). Plugging in the given values, we get I_max=82.1 mA/(1-e^(-t/(152/34.2))) = 0.0821 A/(1-e^(-4.44t)). From here, we can use algebra or a graphing calculator to solve for t. Additionally, the given voltage may be useful for calculating other aspects of the circuit, such as the power dissipated by the resistor or the energy stored in the inductor.

Related to How Does an Inductor's DC Behavior Affect Circuit Current Buildup?

1. What is the DC behavior of an inductor?

The DC behavior of an inductor refers to how it behaves when direct current (DC) is applied to it. When DC current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field which stores energy. This energy is released when the current is removed, causing a brief spike in voltage known as back electromotive force (EMF).

2. How does an inductor affect DC circuits?

An inductor can affect a DC circuit in several ways. It can act as a filter, smoothing out fluctuations in the DC current. It can also store energy, which can be released in a controlled manner. Additionally, an inductor can create resistance to changes in current, causing a delay in the flow of electricity.

3. What is the time constant of an inductor in a DC circuit?

The time constant of an inductor in a DC circuit is the amount of time it takes for the current to reach 63.2% of its maximum value. This is determined by the inductance of the inductor and the resistance of the circuit. A larger inductance or resistance will result in a longer time constant.

4. What happens to an inductor in a DC circuit when it reaches steady state?

When an inductor reaches steady state in a DC circuit, the current through the inductor remains constant and the back EMF is equal to the applied voltage. This means that the magnetic field in the inductor is fully established and no more energy is being stored or released.

5. How is the behavior of an inductor different in AC and DC circuits?

The behavior of an inductor is different in AC and DC circuits because of the constantly changing direction of current in AC circuits. In DC circuits, the back EMF quickly dissipates and the inductor acts more like a wire with low resistance. In AC circuits, the back EMF constantly changes, causing the inductor to continuously release and store energy.