How Does Chair Rotation Affect String Tension in Physics?

In summary, the tension in the string holding up the bob in the rotating chair can be calculated by using the equations T=mg/cos(theta) and T=mg/cos(13.7). The angle, theta, can be found by using Newton's second law for circular motion, and the radius can be determined by looking at the picture. The difference in tension between when the bob is hanging vertically and when the chair is rotating is 5.80N. However, in order to accurately calculate the tension, the speed of the chair's rotation (angular velocity, period, or frequency) must be known.
waldvocm
Calculate the increase in tension in the string holding up the bob in the rotating chair. Calculate the tension when the bob is hanging vertically and the tension when the chair is rotating. H=65.3cm Ro=32cm The bob is 20.0g

I found that the Tension in the string when the bob is hanging vertically to be

T1=Fg=196N

I drew a free body diagram and my equations are Tcos(theta)=mg and Tsin(theta)=m(v^2/r)

So I would find the Tension in the string when the chair is rotation by using the equations

T=mg/cos(theta)

I am not sure how to find theta. I know the adj side is equal to the height 65.3, but how do I find the radius?

Attachments

• 6.7.doc
    53.5 KB · Views: 198
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help on this one?

I found that R=16

I did this just by looking at the picture. Ro=32 and it looks like the plumb bob is about half of that to the right.

So, I found the angle to be 13.7 degrees

T=mg/cos(13.7) T=201.7 The difference in T=5.80N

Does this look right?

Ok, that answer was wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You need to know how fast is the chair rotation (angular velocity or period or frequency).
The angle depends on this.
You can find the angle writing Newton's second law for the circular motion of the bob.

Related to How Does Chair Rotation Affect String Tension in Physics?

1. What is a rotation chair?

A rotation chair is a specialized piece of equipment used in medical settings to evaluate a patient's vestibular function. It consists of a chair attached to a rotating platform, allowing the patient to be rotated in different directions at various speeds.

2. How does a rotation chair test work?

During a rotation chair test, the patient is seated in the chair and secured with a harness. The chair is then rotated in different directions and speeds while the patient's eye movements are monitored. This helps assess the function of the vestibular system, which is responsible for balance and spatial orientation.

3. What conditions can a rotation chair test diagnose?

A rotation chair test can diagnose a variety of conditions related to the vestibular system, including vestibular neuritis, Ménière's disease, and benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). It can also be used to determine the cause of symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo, and balance problems.

4. Are there any risks associated with a rotation chair test?

Generally, a rotation chair test is considered safe and non-invasive. However, some patients may experience temporary dizziness or nausea during the test. Rarely, there may be a risk of injury if the patient has a pre-existing condition that could be aggravated by the movement.

5. What is the role of tension in a rotation chair test?

The tension on the rotation chair can be adjusted to control the speed and direction of rotation. This allows for precise testing and evaluation of the vestibular system. Tension can also be used to simulate movements that trigger symptoms in patients with certain conditions, aiding in diagnosis and treatment planning.