How Does Charge Density Influence Electric Field and Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the acceleration of an object with certain mass, charge, and velocity moving towards an infinite sheet with uniform charge density. The correct equation to find the acceleration is not clear, and the speaker is unsure if they should consider the force of velocity or account for other forces. The answer provided by the professor does not match the calculations, and the speaker is speculating that the answer may be incorrect. They also mention the possibility of accounting for the magnetic field, but it is not within their scope at the moment.
industry86
Pretty much, an object is moving at a certain velocity towards an "infinite" sheet with uniform charge density of sigma=4.4 nC/m^2. The object has a mass of m=62 ug and a charge of q=3.5 nC. It also has a velocity given in a vector v=(3.90i-4.80k) m/s. I am to find a bunch of stuff, but the first and foremost being the acceleration of the object.

I've drawn the FBD. I'm not sure if I have the correct equation but I know that a=qE/m in general. However, I can't seem to find E. My teacher explained that when the distance r of an object is r<<length*width then to use E=sigma/(2*epsilon-not) (epsilon-not being the permittivity of space or 8.845*10^-12). But if I were to use that, I'd get E=248 N/C. Popping that into a=qE/m gives me the wrong answer however. Should I be accounting for the force the velocity has? Am I even using the right equation to find E? Using the answer I know for the acceleration, I can calculate that the E should be 74400. But then if I were to backtrack even further, that would mean that sigma would have to be some really off number. This is why I'm speculating that E is wrong. Unless I'm not accounting for another force to determine the acceleration.

Ok, I'm rambling now. Any tips out there? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your E = 248.5 N/C looks okay to me.
What does that give you for a?
How do you know that this acceleration is wrong?

If you use the acceleration that you calculate,
what other results do you obtain?

Have you treated the magnetic field yet?

The answer sheet the professor provided lists the acceleration to be 4.2 m/s.

So am I coming up with the wrong equation to use? I tried qE+a=ma but the problem is I know that this is not in equalibrium so I don't know how a FBD can help me figure this out in this instance.

I didn't use my calculations any further since everything else is based off this acceleration. Nice little stepping stone. And the magnetic field is beyond my scope atm. I don't need to worry about that.

Last edited:
The Electric Field provides a Force on a charge that is immersed in it.
This kind of Force is just like any other Force ... gravity, for instance.
It is the SUM of Forces (including gravity, springs, ...) that causes ma .

That's why we use a FBD ... to help us add the Forces vector-wise.

F_electric + F_gravity = ma .

NO, a is NOT equal to qE/m , in general situations.

Last edited:
I totally understand your reply and already knew that. What I'm figuring my problem is, is since it's not in equilibrium (I know I have to figure it's lowest height before it starts on an upswing before hitting this "infinite" sheet), I don't think I can use F_electric + F_gravity = ma. I know this because this also does not equal the correct answer.

I'm starting to think that maybe the teacher wrote down the wrong answer. He's done it before...

Related to How Does Charge Density Influence Electric Field and Acceleration?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric forces on a charged object. It is represented by a vector and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by electric charges. Positive charges create an electric field that points away from them, while negative charges create an electric field that points towards them. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

3. How does an object interact with an electric field?

An object with a charge will experience a force when placed in an electric field. The magnitude and direction of the force depend on the charge of the object and the strength and direction of the electric field. An object with a positive charge will experience a force in the direction of the electric field, while an object with a negative charge will experience a force in the opposite direction.

4. Can an electric field exist without an object?

Yes, an electric field can exist without an object. This is because an electric field is created by electric charges, which can exist independently. However, the presence of an object with a charge can affect the strength and direction of the electric field.

5. What factors affect the strength of an electric field around an object?

The strength of an electric field around an object depends on the charge of the object, the distance from the object, and the surrounding medium. The greater the charge of the object, the stronger the electric field. The farther away an object is from the source of the electric field, the weaker the electric field becomes. The type and properties of the medium surrounding the object can also affect the strength of the electric field.