How Does Dew Point Change in a Gas Mixture of Different Proportions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
Pash
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Dear All...
For my first post in this forum I have choosen an easy question for you all!

If I have a gas at room temperature and I start to compress it, when the gas reach its dew point, condensation starts

What about for a gas mixture?? I try to be clear!

I have two real gasses: A & B.
At room temperature the gas A condenses at 10bar, the gas B at 100bar.

What happens if I start to compress a mixture of 50% of gas A and 50% of gas B?

And if I change the mixture?? for example 20%-80% or 80%-20% of gas A-B respectively?

At the present I was not able to understand if this is an easy question with very difficul application or directly a difficult question!

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Raoults law says that, when vapor and liquid are at equilibrium $$P^*x=py$$ for each species, where P* is the equilibrium vapor pressure at the temperature, x is the mole fraction in the liquid, y is the mole fraction in the vapor, and p is the total pressure. So, a bicomponent mixture of A and B at vapor-liquid equilibrium, $$x_A=\frac{py_A}{P^*_A}$$and $$x_B=\frac{py_B}{P^*_B}$$At the condensation point, the pressure p must be high enough for the mole fractions in the liquid to add up to 1: $$x_A+x_B=\frac{py_A}{P^*_A}+\frac{py_B}{P^*_B}=1$$So, the minimum pressure required for condensation to begin is $$p=\frac{1}{\left[\frac{y_A}{P^*_A}+\frac{y_B}{P^*_B}\right]}$$