How Does Friction Affect a Hockey Puck's Acceleration and Distance on Ice?

In summary, a hockey puck with a mass of 350g and a velocity of 6.0 m/s, encounters a rough patch of ice that exerts a frictional force of 0.42N [s]. The puck will experience a negative acceleration due to the opposite direction of the frictional force. Using the equation F=ma, the acceleration can be calculated as 1.2 m/s^2. The distance the puck will slide before stopping can be determined by the equation d=vi^2/2a, giving a distance of approximately 2.5 meters. The mass of the puck does not affect the calculations.
Power24
A Hockey puck of a mass 350g is sliding along the ice at 6.0 m/s[n] when it hits a rough patch of ice that exerts a frictional force of 0.42N

i)Determine the pucks acceleration
ii)determine how far the puck will slide before stopping.

f=ma a=f/m a=.42/.35 this gives me 1.2 or something but it is slowing down therefore it should a negative, should I rewrite the equation giving aa negative value or is there a better equation for the information given.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the 0.42 should have a negative attached to it since it acts opposite the direction of motion

is the value still 0.42 though?

I thought the mass was irrelevant?

well F=ma is relavant to the unit I am working on, however it also incorporates other units so I could be way off but I am just dealing with what I have.

Related to How Does Friction Affect a Hockey Puck's Acceleration and Distance on Ice?

1. What is friction and how does it affect acceleration?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and can slow down or prevent an object from moving. Friction can decrease the acceleration of an object by reducing the net force acting on it.

2. What are the factors that affect friction and acceleration?

The factors that affect friction and acceleration include the types of surfaces in contact, the normal force between the two surfaces, and the presence of lubricants or other substances. Other factors that can affect acceleration include the mass of the object and the magnitude of the applied force.

3. How does friction affect the motion of an object on a slope?

Friction can play a significant role in the motion of an object on a slope. The steeper the slope, the more friction will act against the object's motion, slowing it down. On the other hand, a less steep slope will result in less friction and a faster acceleration.

4. Can friction ever be beneficial for acceleration?

Yes, friction can be beneficial for acceleration in certain situations. For example, when driving a car, the friction between the tires and the road allows for better traction and control of the vehicle. In this case, friction helps to increase acceleration.

5. How can we reduce friction to increase acceleration?

To reduce friction and increase acceleration, one can use lubricants between surfaces, decrease the surface area in contact, or use smoother materials. Additionally, reducing the normal force between the two surfaces can also decrease friction and increase acceleration.