How does measurement time affect laser linewidth measurements?

In summary, the conversation is about measuring the linewidth of a diode laser using the self-heterodyne technique. The laser's specifications indicate a linewidth of ~100kHz at 1us, which is causing confusion for the person trying to measure it. The expert explains that measuring for longer times can result in a larger measured linewidth due to various sources of frequency shifts. To achieve a comparable measurement to the manual, the person should set their total measurement time/averaging to 1 μs. Additionally, the expert mentions that an interferometric setup where the same laser is in both arms can result in flawed measurements, and suggests using an external source for more accurate results.
anoegenetic
I am trying to measure the linewidth of a diode laser using the self-heterodyne technique. The laser specs says that the linewidth is ~100kHz at 1us. I guess I am confused by the "at 1us" and how exactly that translates to measuring the linewidth myself by looking at the beat note on a spectrum analyzer. If I want to make a comparable measurement to what is cited in the manual, what should I set my sweep time to be? The bandwidth? The resolution? I guess what I don't really understand is how the linewidth changes as you change the measurement time.

I'll give a brief answer. It's not that strange that your measurement duration affects the linewidth if you think about different effects that causes line broadening. On short time scale you have fast frequency/phase shift caused e.g. by change electric fields, on intermediate time scales acustic noise might dominate and on slow time scales things like temperature drifts come in. So, the longer time you measure for, the more sources for frequency shifts come into play.

Thus if you want to measure the 100 kHz they stated, you need to do a total measurement time/averaging of 1 μs. Also, keep in mind that if you measure with an interferometric setup where the same laser is in both arms, as it appears in your case, then your two arms will not have uncorrelated signals, meaning your measurement of the linewidth will be flawed. Perhaps still good enough for what you want, but often linewidths are measured against an external source (cavity or second laser).

Thanks for responding Zarqon! So if I understand correctly, you're saying that measuring for longer times will typically result in a measured linewidth that is bigger than what you would measure if you averaged for a shorter time?

1. What is laser linewidth measurement?

Laser linewidth measurement is the process of determining the spectral width, or the range of wavelengths, emitted by a laser beam. It is an important measurement in laser technology and is used to characterize the stability and quality of a laser beam.

2. Why is laser linewidth measurement important?

Laser linewidth measurement is important because it provides information about the coherence and stability of a laser beam. This information is crucial in many applications, such as optical communications, spectroscopy, and laser-based manufacturing. It also allows for the comparison and selection of different lasers for specific purposes.

3. How is laser linewidth measured?

Laser linewidth can be measured using various techniques, such as heterodyne detection, self-heterodyne detection, and Fabry-Perot interferometry. These methods involve analyzing the interference patterns of the laser beam with itself or with another reference beam. The resulting interference pattern provides information about the spectral width of the laser beam.

4. What factors affect laser linewidth?

There are several factors that can affect the linewidth of a laser, including the gain medium, the optical cavity, and external environmental factors. The physical properties of the laser, such as its size and temperature, can also impact the linewidth. Additionally, any disturbances or noise in the laser's environment can cause fluctuations in the laser beam's frequency and therefore affect the linewidth.

5. How can laser linewidth be minimized?

Several techniques can be used to minimize laser linewidth, such as using a high-quality gain medium, stabilizing the laser's temperature, and reducing external disturbances. Another approach is to use a technique called active stabilization, which involves using a feedback loop to continuously adjust the laser's frequency and reduce linewidth. Additionally, choosing a laser with a narrower linewidth to begin with can also help minimize linewidth in applications where it is critical.