How does one feed a two channel transmitter inputs from a tekronix generator ?

In summary, you can use a 50 Ohm splitter to feed each channel from a generator with the same output frequency.
sulymani
Hey guys

I've done my transmitter. it works fine. But, I need to know how to feed it with input from a generator within taking into account that such a transmitter has two channels R+L. shall i use two different generators to feed every single channel ? I really need some help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
sulymani said:
Hey guys

I've done my transmitter. it works fine. But, I need to know how to feed it with input from a generator within taking into account that such a transmitter has two channels R+L. shall i use two different generators to feed every single channel ? I really need some help.

Are you referring to the WiFi transmitter you asked about a while back?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=215867

What are R+L? Right and Left channels? Is this a stereo something?

If you want to take the one single-ended output from a typical 50 Ohm signal generator, and feed two 50 Ohm single-ended inputs, you can use an RF splitter (the two outputs are about 3dBm down compared to the input). You can make your own splitter with a transformer that woeks in the frequency band of interest. You can also make one with just capacitive coupling, if you don't need a DC component in the signal.

Thanks berkeman for ur comments.

dude you kinda misunderstood my question. I meant that i want to test my transmitter using a generator and a spectrum analyzer. Ok, I will need to feed such a transmitter with for example a 10 KHz sine wave from the generator and then I''ll be able to see the modulated signal in the spectrum. My question is for the fact that I am using two channels, How can I feed the both channels with a 10 KHz from one generator ?? becaus all I know that i hook every channel to a different generator with the same 10 KHz. Is there any way to use one ? I hope you got my question ..

Just parallel the inputs. All you will see are sidebands at 10 kHz spacing (and 19kHz pilot town). I would guess the TX is hi-z in and the generator is lo-z out so levels will not be affected. Vary the audio level and you will see the individual sidebands change in level. I think at some levels the carrier disappears and this can be used as a crude way (but expensive as it requires a spectrum analyser - suppose a narrow band receiver could be use if the TX is highly stable) of testing performance. --- Bessel functions. Pre-emphasis may complicate things if different auidio freqs are used.

http://www.ycars.org/EFRA/Module%20B/fmanalysis.htm

The proper way of testing a TX is with a demodulator and stereo decoder (with correct de-emphasis or off if TX pre-emp is turned off) of known high performance and test the R and L channels separately for frequency response and linearity. Check channel separation also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pumblechook that's clear enough.

1. How do I connect the tekronix generator to the transmitter?

To connect the tekronix generator to the transmitter, you will need to use a coaxial cable with BNC connectors on both ends. Connect one end to the output port on the tekronix generator and the other end to the input port on the transmitter.

2. What type of signal should I use from the tekronix generator?

The type of signal you should use from the tekronix generator will depend on the specific requirements of your transmitter. It is important to consult the user manual or specifications of your transmitter to determine the appropriate signal type.

3. Can I use a single channel tekronix generator with a two channel transmitter?

Yes, you can use a single channel tekronix generator with a two channel transmitter. However, you will need to use a splitter to split the signal from the tekronix generator into two inputs for the transmitter.

4. How do I adjust the amplitude of the signal from the tekronix generator?

To adjust the amplitude of the signal from the tekronix generator, you can use the amplitude control knob on the generator. This will vary the voltage level of the signal being outputted.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should turn on the tekronix generator and the transmitter?

Yes, it is recommended to turn on the tekronix generator first and then the transmitter. This will ensure that the generator is ready to output a signal when the transmitter is powered on.