1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does temperature vary with power in a room?

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A typical room is heated with an electric heater on which the power (and thus heat output) can be varied. What do you think the relationship might be between the power supplied to the heater and the resulting warmer temperature the room reaches? Ie if you were to plot a graph of power vs temperature what would it look like? (assume that the radiator remains on at the chosen power and the temperature is recorded once the room has reached equilibrium)

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the bonus question of my homework and is not for credit, however I thought it was really interesting. From my own general experience at home, I would guess the graph would be simply a straight line proportional graph. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do the axes of the graph measure? Hint: if the heater is always on, do you think the room temperature will be the same in summer and in winter?

4. Mar 23, 2014 #3
    The y axis would be in oC and would show the values for the maximum temperatures that the room reached at equilibrium and the x axis would be the power.

5. Mar 23, 2014 #4
    But is it directly proportional?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted