How does the pressure vary as we go deep into the mines

In summary, the pressure varies as we go deep into the mines and as we move up into the atmosphere. The pressure decreases as we move up into the atmosphere due to the forces on a column of air in equilibrium. For a liquid, the relationship is P(h) = P_{atm} + \rho g h, where h is the depth below the free surface at which the pressure is atmospheric, and this equation holds only if the density \rho is constant. One can estimate the pressure at a certain height above the ground using the equation P_{h} \approx P_{0}e^{-\frac{mgh}{kT}}, but this is not entirely accurate as it does not take into account the changes in temperature.
Amith2006
Sir,
How does the pressure vary as we go deep into the mines and as move up into the atmosphere? I think as we move up into the atmosphere the pressure decreases. I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can derive this yourself by considering the forces on a column of air in equilibrium.

For a liquid, the relationship is too familiar, [itex]P(h) = P_{atm} + \rho g h[/itex] where h is the depth below the free surface at which the pressure is atmospheric. Note that this equation holds only if the density [itex]\rho[/itex] is constant. This too can be derived as above.

Show your work here if you need more help.

Last edited:
One can estimate the pressure at a certain height above the ground using the exponential relationship;

[tex]P_{h} \approx P_{0}e^{-\frac{mg}{kT}}[/tex]

This is not entirely accurate as it does not take into account the changes in temperature which will occur. Therefore, this equation will give an overestimate of the pressure.

Also, I would like to inquire as why you title all your post Heat?

~H

Last edited:
You are right about the atmosphere. In general how pressure varies with height (or depth) in a fluid depends on how density varies. I can't say much about a mine. Are you asking how pressure changes as you below the Earth's surface?

EDIT: Sorry this post was written before I saw Hootenanny's reply.

Sir,
This expression given by you i.e. P(h) = P(o)e^(-mg/kT) doesn't have a direct dependence on h. Is the pressure indirectly related to h through g(acceleration due to gravity)?

Amith2006 said:
Sir,
This expression given by you i.e. P(h) = P(o)e^(-mg/kT) doesn't have a direct dependence on h. Is the pressure indirectly related to h through g(acceleration due to gravity)?

My apologies Sir, it was a typo mistake on my part, the formula should read;

[tex]P_{h} \approx P_{0}e^{-\frac{mgh}{kT}}[/tex]

Apologies for any inconvience. I am still interested however as to why this thread is entiled 'Heat'

~H

Sir,
I feel that Pressure, Volume and temperature are terms closely related to Heat. So whenever my doubts involve these terms I give them the title heat. I think its troubling you a lot. Next time I will try to give a different title.

Is the above mentioned expression applicable to pressure variation below the Earth's surface also?

Amith2006 said:
Sir,
I feel that Pressure, Volume and temperature are terms closely related to Heat. So whenever my doubts involve these terms I give them the title heat. I think its troubling you a lot. Next time I will try to give a different title.

You are right, they are inseparable. The title doesn't bother me it was just I noticed that you were posting a lot of Heat titled threads. I would just like to point out that you may get faster and more applicable responses if you had a more informative title. For example, one could entitle this thread 'Pressure dependence and height'. It is not a critisism and please do not take it as such, it is only a suggestion.

~H

Amith2006 said:
Is the above mentioned expression applicable to pressure variation below the Earth's surface also?

I'm afraid not, the difference between predicted values and actual values become significant below the Earth's surface.

~H

Sir,
Actually I never thought about it. I will surely take your suggestions in the right spirit. Next time I will try to be more specific in giving titles.

1. What causes the pressure to increase as we go deeper into the mines?

The pressure at any point in the Earth's crust is determined by the weight of the rock and other materials above it. As we descend deeper into the mines, the weight of the overlying materials increases, resulting in an increase in pressure.

2. How much does the pressure increase for every meter we go deeper into the mines?

The amount of pressure increase depends on the density and thickness of the materials above the point in question. On average, the pressure increases by 1 atmosphere for every 10 meters of depth.

3. Does the type of rock affect the pressure in the mines?

Yes, the type of rock does affect the pressure in the mines. Denser rocks, such as granite, will result in a higher pressure at a given depth compared to less dense rocks, such as sandstone.

4. How does the temperature change as we go deeper into the mines?

The temperature in mines generally increases with depth. This is because the Earth's interior is much hotter than the surface, and as we go deeper, we are getting closer to the heat source. However, in some cases, the temperature can decrease due to various factors such as geothermal cooling or air ventilation systems.

5. Can the pressure in the mines be dangerous for humans?

Yes, increased pressure can be dangerous for humans if not properly managed. This is because high-pressure environments can cause changes in the body's physiology, resulting in conditions such as decompression sickness or "the bends". Proper safety protocols and equipment must be in place to ensure the safety of individuals working in high-pressure environments such as mines.