How Does Torque Balance Apply to an Upside Down Vertical Pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an upside down vertical pendulum and the equation for torque balance, which includes a torque term and the angle of the pendulum. There is a question about the left hand side of the equation and a correction regarding the absence of the ##L## term. There is also a mention of the angle being measured from the highest point.
member 428835
hi pf!

i am looking at a simply problem dealing with an upside down vertical pendulum of length ##L## having mass ##m## at the top. i believe my professor wrote that a torque balance yields ##m \ddot{\theta} = mg\sin \theta + f(t)## where ##f## is a torque (i think) and ##\theta## is the angle the pendulum makes with the vertical axis.

my question is how the left hand side works? isn't Newton's second law extrapolated for angular rotation as moment of inertia times angular acceleration equals sum of torques? if so, wouldn't we have ##m L^2 \ddot{\theta} = mgL\sin \theta + f(t)## as the torque balance?

Physics news on Phys.org
hey, yeah, I think you're right. In any case, without the torque it should be
[tex]\ddot{\theta}=\frac{g}{L} \sin{\theta} [/tex]
So maybe your professor forgot to write the ##L## in there.

edit: p.s. I'm guessing the angle is being measured from the highest point, hence no negative sign on the right hand side

thanks for your input! makes me feel better about it.

Related to How Does Torque Balance Apply to an Upside Down Vertical Pendulum?

1. What is a vertical pendulum?

A vertical pendulum is a type of pendulum that swings in a vertical plane instead of a horizontal plane. It consists of a weight or bob suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod.

2. How does a vertical pendulum work?

A vertical pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as the weight is released and falls due to gravity. The motion of the pendulum is controlled by the force of gravity and the tension in the string or rod.

3. What factors affect the motion of a vertical pendulum?

The motion of a vertical pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the weight, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in the pendulum's motion.

4. How is the period of a vertical pendulum calculated?

The period of a vertical pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π √(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the string or rod in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

5. What are the applications of a vertical pendulum?

A vertical pendulum has various applications in physics, engineering, and even art. It is commonly used to study the laws of motion and energy, as well as to demonstrate concepts such as harmonic motion and simple harmonic oscillation. In engineering, it can be used to measure acceleration and to test the stability of structures. Some artists also incorporate vertical pendulums in their creations for their aesthetic and mesmerizing movements.