How Far Does an Object Fall in the Third Second of Vertical Motion?

In summary, an object with an acceleration of 9.8ms^-2 falls a distance of 24.5m in the third second of its motion, assuming no air resistance. To solve this problem, you can use the formula d=at^2/2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.
jefflee0510
Missing homework template due to originally being posted in other forum.
(Neglect air resistance in all cases)
An object falls down from the top of a high overhanging cliff. How far does it fall in the third second of its motion?

I don't know which formula to use. I know that a=9.8ms^-2 and t=3s I think.
Apparently the answer is 24.5m. But I don't know how to work it out. :C

Physics news on Phys.org
jefflee0510 said:
in the third second
When does the third second of the fall begin? tinitial = ?
When does the third second end? tfinal = ?

Hi jefflee0510 and welcome to Physics Forums!

Please post your homework and homework-like questions in the homework forums. You are also required to show some effort when posting in these forums. Simply saying "I have no idea where to begin is not good enough". See our homework guidelines.

Hi Jef, welcome to the homework part of PF :)

The idea here is that you use the homework template
1. Homework Statement
2. Homework Equations
3. The Attempt at a Solution​
And the helpers are are obliged to protest if parts are missing. That explains the reception you got from Oro.

As to your statement: I don't know.. -- That can be solved if you pick something that you think is reasonable (e.g. from here) and start to work on the solution by filling in things from 1.) in the template.

In the mean time, Bystander has already helped you on you way !

I can provide a response to your question. In order to determine the distance an object falls in the third second of its vertical motion, we can use the formula d = 1/2 * a * t^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time (3 seconds in this case).

Plugging in the values, we get d = 1/2 * 9.8 m/s^2 * (3 s)^2 = 1/2 * 9.8 m/s^2 * 9 s^2 = 44.1 m.

However, this formula gives us the total distance fallen in the first three seconds. To find the distance fallen in the third second specifically, we need to subtract the distance fallen in the first two seconds. This can be calculated using the same formula with t = 2 seconds, giving us d = 1/2 * 9.8 m/s^2 * (2 s)^2 = 19.6 m.

Therefore, the distance fallen in the third second of vertical motion is 44.1 m - 19.6 m = 24.5 m. This is the answer you mentioned, and it is correct. I hope this helps to clarify the calculation process for you.

What is vertical motion problem?

Vertical motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of an object in a vertical direction, typically due to the influence of gravity. It can also refer to problems involving the change in height or position of an object over time.

What are the key variables in a vertical motion problem?

The key variables in a vertical motion problem are the initial height, the final height, the initial velocity, the final velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time. These variables are used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the object during its vertical motion.

How do you solve a vertical motion problem?

To solve a vertical motion problem, you can use the equations of motion (such as the kinematic equations) to calculate the unknown values. These equations relate the variables of displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. It is important to correctly identify and label the given and unknown values before plugging them into the equations.

What is the significance of acceleration due to gravity in vertical motion problems?

Acceleration due to gravity, denoted as "g", is a constant value that represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity. In vertical motion problems, g is typically used as the acceleration value as objects near the Earth's surface experience the same acceleration due to gravity, regardless of their mass or initial velocity.

What are some real-world applications of vertical motion problems?

Vertical motion problems have many real-world applications, including calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the height of an object based on its falling speed, and predicting the time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height. They are also used in engineering to design structures such as bridges and roller coasters, where the effects of gravity on vertical motion must be taken into account.