How Far Should the Voltmeter Probe Be Placed to Read 195V?

In summary, the problem is asking to find the value of r in the equation V=(lamda/2*pi*epsilon nought)*ln(R/r), with known values for lambda and V, and a given value for R. The solution involves taking the exponential of both sides and using the relationship between r and x, which is the distance from the surface to the other probe of the voltmeter.
bjonesp
Homework Statement
A very long insulating cylinder of charge of radius 2.70cm carries a uniform linear density of 16.0 nC/m

Question: If you put one probe of a voltmeter at the surface, how far from the surface must the other probe be placed so that the voltmeter reads 195 ?

Relevant equations: The relevant equation for this problem is V=(lamda/2*pi*epsilon nought)*ln(R/r)

The attempt at a solution: For this problem I am trying to find little r in the above equation. 'Lambda' is given in the problem statement as (16*10^-9). To find little r, I first got the ln() function by itself by dividing each side of the equation by 'lambda/...' To save time I have denoted that function by A. So V/A=ln(R/r). I then took the exponential of each side to get ride of the ln() and I am left with r=R/[e^(V/A)]. I do not understand why this is not correct could someone please help me out. Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful about the reference point. If R and r are measured from the central axis of the cylinder, and one is being asked about the distance x from the surface, which is at R, then what is the relationship between r and x?

Related to How Far Should the Voltmeter Probe Be Placed to Read 195V?

What is a voltmeter probe problem?

A voltmeter probe problem refers to an issue where the voltmeter probe is not functioning properly, causing inaccurate or inconsistent readings when measuring voltage. This can be caused by various factors such as faulty connections, damaged probes, or incorrect settings.

How do I troubleshoot a voltmeter probe problem?

To troubleshoot a voltmeter probe problem, start by checking the connections between the probe and the voltmeter. Make sure they are securely connected and not damaged. Next, try using a different probe to see if the issue is with the probe itself. You can also check the settings on your voltmeter to ensure they are correct for the type of measurement you are taking.

Why am I getting inconsistent readings from my voltmeter probe?

Inconsistent readings from a voltmeter probe can be caused by a few different factors. It could be due to a loose connection between the probe and voltmeter, a damaged probe, or incorrect settings on the voltmeter. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the root cause to ensure accurate readings.

How do I know if my voltmeter probe is damaged?

There are a few signs that may indicate a damaged voltmeter probe. These include inconsistent or inaccurate readings, physical damage to the probe, or a loose or broken connection between the probe and voltmeter. If you suspect your probe is damaged, it is best to replace it to ensure accurate measurements.

Can I fix a damaged voltmeter probe?

In some cases, a damaged voltmeter probe can be fixed. This may involve replacing the damaged component or repairing any loose connections. However, if the damage is severe, it is best to replace the probe completely to ensure accurate and reliable readings.