How Fast Do a Hockey Puck and Octopus Slide After Collision?

• Thread starter skins266
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, a hockey puck with a mass of 0.105 kg and a velocity of 35.0 m/s collides with a 0.240 kg octopus thrown onto the ice by a fan. The two objects then slide off together with a combined velocity, which can be found using the conservation of linear momentum equation: M_puck*v_puck + M_oct*v_oct = Mtotal*v_final. The octopus is thrown by eight arms and serves as a form of retaliation against the offending fan. The conversation also includes some discussion on conservation of momentum and a humorous image of Captain Picard.
skins266
A 0.105 kg hockey puck, moving at 35.0 m/s, strikes a 0.240 kg octopus thrown onto the ice by a hockey fan. The puck and octopus slide off together. Find their velocity in m/s

I really do not have a clue on what to do and how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd think that the octopus will throw the puck at the offending fan, seeing that he was to blame in the first place, to get the poor octopus get hit by the puck. With the force of eight arms behind it, it'll pack a pretty punch. Serves him right.

Getting back to Physics, the sum of the initial momenta of puck and poor octopussy will be equal to the final momentum of the two together. You know initial masses and speeds, and the total mass, so it shouldn't be problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, we get some pretty weird descriptions, but it makes it fun.

So basically I add the two masses and then find the impusle of the puck hitting the octopus and then I multiply that by the two masses?

M_puck*v_puck + M_oct*v_oct = Mtotal*v_final.

That's conservation of linear momentum.

Thanks for your help. I knew it was something like that.

An octopus?

Good grief.

http://www.turboconnection.com/images/picard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Fast Do a Hockey Puck and Octopus Slide After Collision?

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a hockey puck?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a hockey puck is v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time.

How is the velocity of a hockey puck measured?

The velocity of a hockey puck can be measured using a radar gun or a speed measuring device called a doppler radar. It can also be calculated by timing the puck's movement between two known points.

What factors affect the velocity of a hockey puck?

The velocity of a hockey puck can be affected by several factors, including the force of the player's shot, the type of surface the puck is on, air resistance, and friction between the puck and the surface it is sliding on.

How does the velocity of a hockey puck affect its trajectory?

The velocity of a hockey puck directly affects its trajectory. A higher velocity will result in a longer and faster trajectory, while a lower velocity will result in a shorter and slower trajectory. The angle of the shot can also affect the trajectory, but the velocity is a major factor.

What is the average velocity of a hockey puck?

The average velocity of a hockey puck can vary depending on the level of play and the skill of the player. However, the average velocity of a professional hockey puck is around 90 miles per hour.