How Fast is the Distance Changing Between Two Ships and a Man's Shadow?

• Thread starter aMo0oDi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary,1) At noon ship A is 150 km west of ship B. Ship A is sailing East at 35 km/h and ship B is sailing North at 25 km/h. How fast is the dstance between the ships changing at 4 pm?The distance between the two ships is:\sqrt{A^2 + B^2}= \sqrt{(35t - 150)^2 + (25t)^2}= \sqrt{1850t^2 - 10500t + 22500}2) a spotlight on the ground shines on a wall 12 meters away. If a man 2 meters tall walks for the spotlight toward
aMo0oDi
Hi guys.. i was studying calculus and i found some problems in solving these two questions.. would you please help me to figure out the answers?

1) At noon ship A is 150 km west of ship B. Ship A is sailing East at 35 km/h and ship B is sailing North at 25 km/h. How fast is the dstance between the ships changing at 4 pm?

2) a spotlight on the ground shines on a wall 12 meters away. if a man 2 meters tall walks for the spotlight toward the building at a speed of 1.6 meter per second, how fast is the length of his shadow on the building decreasing when he is 4 meters from the building?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Think of ship A traveling right on the x-axis, starting at the point (-150,0). Think of ship B traveling up on the y-axis, initially at (0,0). Let A represent ship A's distance from the origin, and B represent B's distance from the origin. The distance between the two ships is:

[tex]\sqrt{A^2 + B^2}[/tex]

If you think about it, place ship A at any point on the x-axis and B at any point on the y-axis, and you'll see the distance between the ships is the hypoteneuse of a triangle, whose arms are the segment from the origin to ship A, and the segment from the origin to ship B. and given the lengths of two arms of a right triangle, you know how to find the length of the hypoteneuse by Pythagorean Theorem, which is how I got the equation above. Now, how do we express A and B in terms of time? Let t represent time, in hours.

A = -150 + 35t
B = 0 + 25t

You should be able to see clearly why the equations above are right. If not, maybe try plotting the position of each ship after a bit of time goes on, and notice how the distances to the origin are properly described by those equations. Now, going back to the distance, let's call it D:

[tex]D = \sqrt{A^2 + B^2}[/tex]

[tex]D = \sqrt{(35t - 150)^2 + (25t)^2}[/tex]

[tex]D = \sqrt{1850t^2 - 10500t + 22500}[/tex]

Now, to find the rate of change of distance with respect to time, differentiate D with respect to t:

[tex]dD/dt = \frac{3700t - 10500}{2\sqrt{1850t^2 - 10500t + 22500}}[/tex]

To find the rate of change of distance at 4 p.m., that is 4 hours later, plug in t=4, and you'll have your answer.

well its been awhile sense I've done these but...draw the orginal situation and u find ship A's equation of motion is x(t) = 35t - 150 and B's is y(t) = 25t

the distance between two points in a flat plane is [tex]d = sqrt{(x - x_o)^2 -(y - y_0)^2}[/tex], but u see A's motion is only on the x axis... so x_0 = 0 and... also for B y_0 = 0 so sub the eq's for x and y u get...

[tex] d = sqrt{(35t - 150)^2 + (25t)^2}[/tex]

dd/dt = change of distance/change of time

dd/dt = 1250t + 70(35t-150)/(2 sqrt(625t^2 + (35t - 150)^2)) and t = 4 so the answer...4,996.517 km/h

i have no idea if this is right lol but check it out lol

I got an answer of something like 21.4 km/h. Did you really get something like 5000 km/h? How could they possibly be moving away from each other at that rate? Even if they were headed in opposite directions they could only be separating at a rate of 25+35=60 km/h, right?

AKG, I think your answer sounds correct.

thanks a lot for helping us figuring out the way of solving the first problem.. what about the second one?

2) a spotlight on the ground shines on a wall 12 meters away. if a man 2 meters tall walks from the spotlight toward the building at a speed of 1.6 meter per second, how fast is the length of his shadow on the building decreasing when he is 4 meters from the building?

i got 1.01 m/s is that correct ..
I did it by using x^2+y^2= z^2
x=8 y= 2
i found the hyp as equal to 8.24 m b
soo i used it to get the time which is 7.5 s T=d/s T=12/1.6
then i used the time with the hyp to get the speed . which is s=d/t
8.24/7.5 = s
im wondering is that correct ??

http://calclab.math.tamu.edu/~belmonte/m151/L/c3/L3A.pdf

Related to How Fast is the Distance Changing Between Two Ships and a Man's Shadow?

1. How do I approach solving a difficult calculus problem?

When faced with a challenging calculus problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps and use the appropriate calculus techniques and formulas to solve each step. It can also be helpful to work through similar, simpler problems first to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus problems include not fully understanding the problem, not checking your work for errors, and not using the correct formulas or techniques. It is also important to not rush through the problem and to show all steps in your solution to ensure you don't make any careless mistakes.

3. How do I know if my solution to a calculus problem is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution by plugging your answer back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same result. If you are still unsure, it can be helpful to ask a classmate or teacher for feedback.

4. What resources can I use to help me solve difficult calculus problems?

There are many resources available to help you solve difficult calculus problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Your teacher or professor may also be able to provide additional guidance and resources. It can also be helpful to practice regularly and seek help when needed.

5. How can I improve my calculus problem-solving skills?

To improve your calculus problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common calculus techniques and formulas. It can also be helpful to work through a variety of problems with different levels of difficulty. Additionally, seeking feedback and asking for help when needed can also aid in improving your skills.