How fast is wave travelling from graph

• Thread starter negation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Wave
In summary, the figure shows the displacement of a traveling wave at a given position as a function of time and at a given time as a function of position. To find the wave's speed, use the equation v = λ/T where λ is the wavelength and T is the period of the wave. By analyzing the two graphs provided, you can determine the wavelength and period, which can then be used to calculate the wave's speed. In this case, the wave's speed is 0.75 meters per second.
negation

Homework Statement

The figure shows the displacement y of a traveling wave at a given position as a function of time and the displacement of the same wave at a given time as a function of position. How fast is the wave traveling?

Untitled.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm totally lost with this question. How should I approach this?

v = λ/ T

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

The figure shows the displacement y of a traveling wave at a given position as a function of time and the displacement of the same wave at a given time as a function of position. How fast is the wave traveling?

View attachment 67578

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm totally lost with this question. How should I approach this?

v = λ/ T

You've nailed it with your relevant equation. (By that I mean your "v = λ/T" equation is exactly the one you want to use.) :smile:

With one of the graphs, you should be able to figure out the wavelength, λ. In other words, answer, "how long is one wavelength?" Still in other words, "how many meters is one period of the wave?"

With the other graph, you should be able to figure out the period of the wave. In other words, answer, "how long does it take (in seconds) for the wave to cycle through one wavelength?" Or, "how many seconds is one period?"

collinsmark said:
You've nailed it with your relevant equation. (By that I mean your "v = λ/T" equation is exactly the one you want to use.) :smile:

With one of the graphs, you should be able to figure out the wavelength, λ. In other words, answer, "how long is one wavelength?" Still in other words, "how many meters is one period of the wave?"

With the other graph, you should be able to figure out the period of the wave. In other words, answer, "how long does it take (in seconds) for the wave to cycle through one wavelength?" Or, "how many seconds is one period?"

Been very busy lately and it struck me that I left out thinking about this question.

lamda = 3m
T = 4s
v = 3/4 = 0.75ms^-1

Very sure this is correct.

Last edited:
'Looks correct to me. :approve:

Likes 1 person
= (y2-y1) / (t2-t1)

To determine the speed of a wave, we can use the formula v = λ/ T, where v is the speed, λ is the wavelength, and T is the period. In this case, we can use the graph to find the wavelength and the period. The wavelength can be found by measuring the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the displacement vs. position graph. The period can be found by measuring the time it takes for the wave to complete one full cycle on the displacement vs. time graph. Once we have these values, we can plug them into the formula v = λ/ T to calculate the speed of the wave.

1. How do you measure the speed of a wave from a graph?

The speed of a wave can be measured by calculating the slope of the graph. The slope represents the rate of change of the wave, which is its speed. The steeper the slope, the faster the wave is traveling.

2. Can you determine the speed of a wave by looking at its amplitude on a graph?

No, the amplitude of a wave on a graph does not directly indicate its speed. The amplitude represents the distance between the crest (highest point) and the equilibrium point of the wave. The speed of a wave is determined by its frequency and wavelength, not its amplitude.

3. What units are used to measure the speed of a wave on a graph?

The speed of a wave is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). The units depend on the chosen measurement system and the type of wave being measured.

4. Does the speed of a wave change as it travels?

In a uniform medium, the speed of a wave remains constant. However, when a wave moves from one medium to another, its speed may change due to differences in the properties of the two mediums. For example, the speed of light changes when it travels from air to water.

5. Can the speed of a wave be faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. No wave, including electromagnetic waves and sound waves, can travel faster than the speed of light.