How Fast Was the Car Going Before It Hit the SUV?

• Thread starter Ckoskie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Speed
In summary, the question involves a 920kg car colliding with a 2300kg SUV with a coefficient of friction of 0.8. The two cars lock together and slide forward 2.8m. A police officer can use this information to calculate the speed of the car before the collision. The provided link may contain helpful formulas for solving the problem.
Ckoskie
Okay here is my question I have spent 6 hours on it and I can't get the answer. the Question is:
a 920kg car is driving down the road and hits a 2300kg SUV stopped at a red light. The two cars lock together and their break lock. they then slide forward 2.8m. A police officer know that the coeficient of friction between rubber and pavement is 0.8. Whith this he can figure out the speed at which the car was going when it hit the SUV. Find the speed of the car just before the collision.

I really hope someone can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't be careful someone is going to ask what you have figured out so far, and what formulas that you know you can apply.

Last edited:
Ckoskie,

What have you figured out so far, and what formulas that you know you can apply??

http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/~jgladden/phys213/hw05_ch_07.pdf
What is this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Fast Was the Car Going Before It Hit the SUV?

1. How does a car's speed affect its fuel efficiency?

As a car's speed increases, its fuel efficiency decreases. This is because higher speeds require the engine to use more energy to maintain the car's movement, resulting in more fuel consumption.

2. What is the difference between horsepower and torque?

Horsepower is a measure of how quickly a car can reach a certain speed, while torque is a measure of the car's turning or rotational force. In simpler terms, horsepower is how fast a car can go, and torque is how quickly it can get there.

3. Why do some cars have better acceleration than others?

The acceleration of a car depends on various factors, such as the engine's power, the car's weight, and the type of transmission. Cars with more powerful engines and lighter weight will typically have better acceleration than those with weaker engines and heavier weight.

4. Can a car's speed affect its handling?

Yes, a car's speed can greatly affect its handling. Higher speeds require more precise handling and control, and if a car is not designed to handle high speeds, it can become unstable and difficult to control.

5. How do factors like wind resistance and road conditions affect a car's speed?

Factors like wind resistance and road conditions can impact a car's speed by creating drag and reducing its overall efficiency. Wind resistance can slow a car down, especially at higher speeds, and poor road conditions can make it more difficult for a car to maintain its speed or accelerate.