Galilean Relativity & Inconsistency with Classical Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the problem of showing that the Galilean relativity transformation and the equation of expansion of a light sphere produce inconsistent results when used in two different frames. The solution involves substituting the transformation equations into the light sphere equations and noticing that there is a discrepancy in the results. The speaker is seeking help in understanding where the inconsistency lies.
Prophylaxis
Hi, I am a novice here and i am trying to solve the following problem:
1.Show that Galilean relativity transformation produces inconsistent classical physics result when used with equation of expansion of light sphere. (2 different frames)

2. x2 = x1 - vt1
y1 = y2
z1 = z2
t1 = t2

expansion of light sphere: x12 + y12 + z12 - ct12 = 0
x22 + y22 + z22 - ct22 = 0

3. I have substituted the Galilean transformation equations in the later expansion of the light sphere equations:
x12 + y12 + z12 - ct12 = 0
x22 + y22 + z22 - ct22 = 0

x12 + y12 + z12 - ct12 = 0 = x22 + y22 + z22 - ct22

x12 + y12 + z12 - ct12 = x22 + y12 + z12 - ct22

x12 - ct12 = x22 - ct22

x12 - ct12 = (x1 - vt1)2 - ct22

x12 - ct12 = x12 - 2vt1 + v2t12 - c2t22

So far I have not been able understand the inconsistency and it's bothering me. I do know about Lorentz contraction, but don't know where the inconsistency is? Is there something wrong with my thought process? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey,

An interesting problem, anyone have a solution to it?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

1. What is Galilean relativity?

Galilean relativity is a principle of physics that states that the laws of motion are the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that the laws of physics remain the same regardless of the observer's perspective or relative motion.

2. How does Galilean relativity differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, it was believed that there was a preferred reference frame, known as the "absolute frame of reference," and the laws of physics would differ depending on the observer's motion relative to this frame. Galilean relativity rejects this notion and states that all inertial frames are equally valid.

3. What is the inconsistency between Galilean relativity and classical physics?

The inconsistency arises when considering the speed of light. In classical physics, it was believed that the speed of light was dependent on the observer's motion. However, according to Galilean relativity, the speed of light should be the same in all inertial frames, which is not consistent with classical physics.

4. How was the inconsistency between Galilean relativity and classical physics resolved?

The inconsistency was resolved with the development of Einstein's theory of special relativity. This theory states that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames and is independent of the observer's motion. It also explains the observed phenomenon of time dilation and length contraction.

5. What are some practical applications of Galilean relativity?

Galilean relativity is an important principle in the field of mechanics and is used to explain the motion of objects in various reference frames. It is also the basis for the development of special relativity, which has numerous practical applications, such as GPS technology and particle accelerators.