How is power proportional to acceleration?

In summary, when distance and mass are held constant, the power (P) is proportional to the acceleration (a). However, this only applies to the specific scenario where the force is constant and the object travels a distance of 0.5at^2 in time t. The equation for power is P= mad/t, but to accurately calculate the power for a given trajectory, the equation needs to be modified to account for the changing distance and time. Additionally, it is important to note that the power is an instantaneous measure and the average power over a given distance is not the same as the power.
hola
The above scenario is when distance and mass are held constant. ~ denotes proportional to
My work:
P= m*a*d/t
P~ a/t

a~1/t^2 when m and d are held constant

so P~ a^3/2

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is important to say that you assumed a constant force. (what does 'd held constant' mean anyway?)

Personally, I don't see a flaw in your reasoning.

But wait 'til it gets approved or demolished by someone more knowledgeable before you start expecting your nobel prize.

Is this right?

Absolutely not. If you think that you can "hold d constant" and still have a non-zero energy transfer rate (power) then you don't even understand work. The error in your mathematics is the point when you say:

P= m*a*d/t

It should be:

P= m*a*(d(t)-d0)/(t-t0)

In other words, d should be "delta d" or "the change in d". But more importantly, on a physical level you are talking about transfering energy by accelerating in place, which is absurd.

"a~1/t^2 when m and d are held constant" This is mathematically laughable. Acceleration is the second derivative of position. If position is a constant, acceleration is zero.

Crosson: most people use "d" for distance, which is (x_f - x_i),
and it was pretty clear from the context.

Hola: your condition shows power proportional to a/t ,
(with fixed distance and mass). This is NOT proportional to a,
since the time to travel distance "d" is NOT the same for different P.
This is obvious since higher power run will have quicker acceleration
(your formulas presume CONTANT-ACCELERATION during each run)
By the way, this is *Average* power!

I'm not sure I see your point lightgrav. I'll rewrite hola's work with more precision. Asume an object of mass m at rest at t_0 = 0 acted on my a constant force F, from which results an acceleration a. Then, after a time t', the object has traveled a distance d, and the rate at which work as been done by force (the power) for that period is P = Fd/t' = mad/t'. But since the force is constant, the equation of position of the object is x(t) = 0.5at², for which we know a solution to be d = 0.5at'² <==> [itex]t' = \sqrt{2d/a}[/itex]. Hence we can rewrite the power for that particular trajectory of the object as

[tex]P = \frac{mad}{\sqrt{2d/a}} = \frac{ma\sqrt{ad}}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{\frac{d}{2}}ma^{3/2}[/tex]

Point #1 : the title prase "Power proportional to acceleration" does not apply
to P~a/t nor to P~a^3/2 . (Does Hola know what proportional means?)
Point #2 : "average Power over a given distance" is not the same thing as P.
Unmodified, unqualified Power seems to misleadingly imply constant P,
or that it is a relationship that could be used in most any situation.
But knowing that P ~ F.v ~ a.v makes it obvious that here (a=const) P ~ t .

1. How does power relate to acceleration?

Power and acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the acceleration increases, the power required to achieve that acceleration also increases.

2. What is the formula for calculating power?

The formula for calculating power is P = F x v, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity. This means that the power required to achieve a certain acceleration is dependent on the force applied and the velocity of the object.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its power and acceleration?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its power and acceleration. However, a heavier object will require more force and power to achieve the same acceleration as a lighter object.

4. Is power the same thing as force?

No, power and force are not the same thing. Force is a measure of the strength of a push or pull on an object, while power is a measure of the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred.

5. Can power be negative?

Yes, power can be negative. Negative power indicates that work is being done on an object, rather than by an object. This can occur when the direction of the force and the direction of the object's motion are opposite.