How Long Does an Electron Take to Travel the Length of a High-Voltage Cable?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
AznBoi
Messages
470
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 200-km-long high-voltage transmission line 2 cm in diameter carries a steady current of 1000 A. If the conductor is copper with a free charge density of 8.5 x 10^28 electrons per cubic meter, how many years does it take one electron to travel th full length of the cable?


The Attempt at a Solution



I know that you need to use this equation: [tex]R=p\frac {l}{A}[/tex] and I think I will also need this equation: [tex]I= \frac {\Delta {Q}}{\Delta t}[/tex], but I'm not entirely sure.

The thing I most confused about is the "density of 8.5 x 10^28 electrons per cubic meter. Is that a volume? Are you suppose to use: [tex]I= \frac {\Delta {Q}}{\Delta t}[/tex] to find the time (years)?? I'm stuck from here on out. It'd be great if you could give me some hints as to how to continue. Thanks in advance! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need the resistivity equation, just use the charge density equation and the equation for current expressed in terms of charge flux.