How Long for an Electron to Move 1cm in a Silver Wire?

In summary, the drift speed of a conduction electron in a silver wire with a diameter of 1 mm and a current of 130 mA is 2.8538e-24 m/s. This means it takes approximately 5.840e19 minutes for a conduction electron to move 1.0 cm along the wire. However, this calculation may not be accurate as the charge of the electrons was not taken into account.
GreenDinos
A silver wire of diameter 1 mm carries a current of 130 mA. The density of conduction electrons in silver is 5.8X10^28 m-3. How long (on average) does it take for a conduction electron to move 1.0 cm along the wire?

ok, so first I calculated drift speed using the equation Vd = I/ Ne * A

for Area, I just used pi*r^2

I set it up Vd = .130A/ ((5.8e28 m^-3) x (7.853e-7 m^2)) and got the drift speed to be 2.8538e-24 m/s

I then set up 2.8538e-24 m/s x 100cm/m x 60sec/min and got
1.71228e-20cm/ min .

To get minutes for one cm i took
1cm/1.71228e-20cm/ min and got 5.840e19 minutes to move one cm.

i'm obviously doing somehting wrong because it's not accepting my answer. Is there something I'm missing??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GreenDinos said:
A silver wire of diameter 1 mm carries a current of 130 mA. The density of conduction electrons in silver is 5.8X10^28 m-3. How long (on average) does it take for a conduction electron to move 1.0 cm along the wire?

ok, so first I calculated drift speed using the equation Vd = I/ Ne * A
You left out the charge of the electrons. Neglecting signs,
[tex] v_d=\frac{I}{A q N_e}\mbox{ , q = }1.6\cdot10^{-19}\mbox{ C. }[/tex]

ehild

Hi there,

I can see that you have correctly calculated the drift speed of the conduction electrons in the silver wire. However, there may be a mistake in your conversion from meters to centimeters. The drift speed you calculated is in meters per second, so when converting to centimeters, you should use a conversion factor of 100 (not 100cm/m). This would give you a drift speed of 2.8538e-22 cm/s.

Using this value, the time taken for a conduction electron to move 1 cm along the wire would be:

1cm / (2.8538e-22 cm/s) = 3.504e21 seconds

This is a very large number, so it is often more convenient to express it in a different unit, such as minutes or hours. To convert seconds to minutes, you can divide by 60, so the time taken would be:

(3.504e21 seconds) / 60 seconds/min = 5.84e19 minutes.

I believe your answer was correct, but there may have been a mistake in the conversion from meters to centimeters. I hope this helps clarify and if you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to How Long for an Electron to Move 1cm in a Silver Wire?

1. How does the length of the silver wire affect the time for an electron to move 1cm?

The length of the silver wire does not significantly affect the time for an electron to move 1cm. The speed of the electron is determined by the material and temperature of the wire, not its length.

2. What factors affect the time for an electron to move 1cm in a silver wire?

The main factors that affect the time for an electron to move 1cm in a silver wire are the material and temperature of the wire. Other factors such as impurities, density, and cross-sectional area may also play a role.

3. Is the speed of an electron consistent throughout the entire length of the silver wire?

No, the speed of an electron may vary throughout the length of the silver wire depending on factors such as resistance and temperature gradients. However, on average, the speed of an electron will remain relatively constant.

4. Can the time for an electron to move 1cm in a silver wire be calculated?

Yes, the time for an electron to move 1cm in a silver wire can be calculated using the formula t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance (1cm), and v is velocity (speed of the electron determined by the material and temperature of the wire).

5. How does the temperature of the silver wire affect the time for an electron to move 1cm?

The temperature of the silver wire can greatly affect the time for an electron to move 1cm. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the wire also increases, which in turn slows down the movement of electrons. This results in a longer time for an electron to move 1cm in the wire.