How Long Does It Take for Captain Kirk to Fall to the Valley Floor?

• Thread starter Justhelp
  • Start date
In summary, Captain Kirk would take approximately 3.65 seconds to fall to the valley floor, and his velocity after falling for 2.7 seconds would be 13.23m/s. His potential energy after falling for 2.7 seconds would be 38507.238J, and his kinetic energy would be 9626.8095J. However, if he falls all the way to the valley floor, his final velocity would not be d/t as his velocity is constantly changing due to gravity.
Justhelp
How long would it take...

Homework Statement

This is a problem that followed a bunch of others so I will post what I got for those as well.

Here is the problem: How long would it take Kirk to fall to the valley floor?

5.29s or 3.47s or 11.836s or 2.43s or none of those. I am not getting any of them, I don't know if I am doing it correct. I am using the d=1/2gt^2 formula and get 3.645s. Distance being 35.721m and g being 9.8.

And that number is not any of the choices listed... is it non of the above?

Homework Equations

Captain James T Kirk is on vacation in Ca. He is climbing 59m above the floor of the valley when he stops to rest. Cpt. Kirk has a mass of 110kg. What is the potential energy of Kirk? I got 63602J, using the PE=mgh formula.
His kinetic energy would be 0 when he rests.

Kirk suddenly looses his grip and begins to fall! How far does he fall in 2.7s? I got 35.721m using d=1/2gt^2

What is Kirks velocity after falling for 2.7s? I got 13.23m/s using the v=d/t formula.

What is his kinetic energy after falling for 2.7s? I am not sure about that one, but I got 9626.8095J using the kinetic formula KE=1/2mv^2

What is his potential energy after falling 2.7s? Using the potential energy formula P subscript E =mgh I came up with 38507.238J.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org

I should also say that the number I got for what his kinetic energy after falling for 2.7s is not listed either. I just do not have anyone to compare my work with currently.

Justhelp said:

Homework Statement

This is a problem that followed a bunch of others so I will post what I got for those as well.

5.29s or 3.47s or 11.836s or 2.43s or none of those. I am not getting any of them, I don't know if I am doing it correct. I am using the d=1/2gt^2 formula and get 3.645s. Distance being 35.721m and g being 9.8.

Homework Equations

Captain James T Kirk is on vacation in Ca. He is climbing 59m above the floor of the valley when he stops to rest. Cpt. Kirk has a mass of 110kg. What is the potential energy of Kirk? I got 63602J, using the PE=mgh formula.

Kirk suddenly looses his grip and begins to fall! How far does he fall in 2.7s? I got 35.721m using d=1/2gt^2

What is Kirks velocity after falling for 2.7s? I got 13.23m/s using the v=d/t formula.

What is his kinetic energy after falling for 2.7s? I am not sure about that one, but I got 9626.8095J using the kinetic formula KE=1/2mv^2

What is his potential energy after falling 2.7s? Using the potential energy formula P subscript E =mgh I came up with 38507.238J.

Thank you for your time.
How far does he fall if he falls all the way to the valley floor.

BTW: (The correct answer is) there.)

Using d=rt?

But..I don't have time.

I can't use distance or time because the numbers I got were for 2.7s.

Justhelp said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thank you for your time.

His velocity after falling 2.7 sec is not d/t, because his velocity has been changing as he accelerates downward. d/t is his average velocity after 2.7 sec, not his instantaneous velocity. You know his acceleration and his initial velocity (zero), so, again, what is his velocity after 2.7 sec?

Justhelp said:

Captain James T Kirk is on vacation in Ca. He is climbing 59m above the floor of the valley...

How far does he fall if he falls all the way to the valley floor?

1. How long would it take to conduct a scientific experiment?

The length of time it takes to conduct a scientific experiment varies greatly depending on the specific experiment and its objectives. Some experiments can take just a few hours, while others may take weeks, months, or even years to complete.

2. How long would it take for a new drug to be developed and approved?

The process of developing and approving a new drug can take anywhere from 10 to 15 years. This includes the initial research and development, clinical trials, and approval process by regulatory agencies.

3. How long would it take for the Earth's climate to significantly change?

The Earth's climate is constantly changing, but the speed at which it changes is influenced by various factors such as natural events and human activities. It is difficult to predict exactly how long it would take for a significant change to occur, but it could range from a few decades to centuries.

4. How long would it take for a new species to evolve?

The process of evolution is a gradual and ongoing process that can take millions of years. The time it takes for a new species to evolve can vary greatly depending on the environment and the adaptive advantages of the new species.

5. How long would it take for a scientific discovery to be applied in real-world situations?

The time it takes for a scientific discovery to be applied in real-world situations can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the discovery and the resources available for its application. It can range from a few years to several decades.