1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Many Bytes Does Float Occupy Inside PIC Microcontroller?

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How many bytes does a variable of float data type occupy in the data memory of PIC microcontroller?

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

All I know, is that float data type has a size of 4 bytes, that's 32 bits. I'm not sure if it occupies the same size inside the data memory of the PIC.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are many different kinds of PIC controllers, ranging from 12-bit, 13-bit, 14-bit, 16-bit, up to 32-bit wide code memory.

I looked at this wikipedia article, and didn't see any mention of floating point op codes, so perhaps floating point operations are done in a kind of fixed-point technique.

I don't have any experience with PIC microcontrollers - most of my assembly experience has been with various Intel x86 chips and some with Motorola 68000 family.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook