How Many Bytes Does Float Occupy Inside PIC Microcontroller?

In summary, a variable of float data type typically occupies 4 bytes or 32 bits in the data memory of a PIC microcontroller. However, the exact size may vary depending on the specific PIC controller being used. It is possible that floating point operations are done using a fixed-point technique rather than dedicated op codes.
Abstr7ct

Homework Statement

How many bytes does a variable of float data type occupy in the data memory of PIC microcontroller?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know, is that float data type has a size of 4 bytes, that's 32 bits. I'm not sure if it occupies the same size inside the data memory of the PIC.

Physics news on Phys.org
Abstr7ct said:

Homework Statement

How many bytes does a variable of float data type occupy in the data memory of PIC microcontroller?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know, is that float data type has a size of 4 bytes, that's 32 bits. I'm not sure if it occupies the same size inside the data memory of the PIC.
There are many different kinds of PIC controllers, ranging from 12-bit, 13-bit, 14-bit, 16-bit, up to 32-bit wide code memory.

I looked at this wikipedia article, and didn't see any mention of floating point op codes, so perhaps floating point operations are done in a kind of fixed-point technique.

I don't have any experience with PIC microcontrollers - most of my assembly experience has been with various Intel x86 chips and some with Motorola 68000 family.

1. How many bytes does a float occupy inside a PIC microcontroller?

A float occupies 4 bytes inside a PIC microcontroller. This is the standard size for a float data type in most microcontrollers.

2. Can a float occupy more than 4 bytes inside a PIC microcontroller?

No, a float data type is limited to 4 bytes in size inside a PIC microcontroller. This is a hardware limitation and cannot be changed.

3. What is the maximum and minimum value that a float can hold inside a PIC microcontroller?

The maximum value that a float can hold inside a PIC microcontroller is approximately 3.4 x 10^38 and the minimum value is approximately -3.4 x 10^38. These values may vary slightly depending on the specific PIC microcontroller model.

4. How is a float data type stored inside a PIC microcontroller's memory?

A float is stored using the IEEE 754 standard, which uses a combination of bits to represent the sign, exponent, and mantissa of the number. This allows for efficient and accurate storage of floating-point numbers.

5. Can a float data type be converted to other data types inside a PIC microcontroller?

Yes, a float can be converted to other data types such as integers or characters inside a PIC microcontroller. However, the conversion process may result in loss of precision or rounding errors, so it is important to carefully consider the data type conversions in your code.