How Many copyright Laws has he broken?

In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of downloading and uploading files from the internet, and the potential consequences if caught. It is mentioned that in Canada, downloading is legal due to an additional tax on CDs and MP3 players, while in the US, it is considered a violation of copyright laws. However, it is clarified that in both countries, uploading is illegal. The conversation also touches on the importance of uploading for file-sharing and the lack of enforcement in Canada for downloading. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about the common request for help with illegal activities by saying "my friend."
dekoi
I've always wondered...

Someone i know downloads a ridiculous amount of data from the internet. It is unbelievable how much he downloads and uploads. He owns over a hundred movies, full DVD’s, all ripped from the internet.

If he was somehow caught uploading or downloading, what do you think the fine would be? How many laws would he have broken?

(dekoi does not participate in any illegal activity; this reply's mention to illegal activities is strictly hypothetical ) :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The most common way a young person asks for help is to say "My friend..."

I don't know Canadian laws. In the US, if they really wanted to make an example of you, and some do, you'd have the FBI knocking at the door confiscating your computer for evidence and arresting you. The reason it would be the FBI is that transactions over the internet fall under the category of interstate commerce, so aren't really enforced by local law enforcement. Of course, that might also depend on whether they thought any money had exchanged hands in the transaction. It might be more of a civil suit if nothing is being bought and sold. I'm sure the cost if caught if far more than the cost of buying that stuff legitimately.

Technically each download is a separate violation of the law, so if your friend has obtained "over a hundred movies", then that is over a hundred violations for which he can be prosecuted at the discretion of those whose copyrights have been violated.

Most countries have reciprocity regarding copyright and patent law (either through bilateral or multilateral agreements or treaties), but the judicial administrator of one country does not have jurisdiction in another country and vice versa. The copyright owner must file charges in the country where the offense has occurred.

He'd be about throat deep in a real POS.

In Canada it is completely legal to download files from the internet since your paying an additional tax on all cds, mp3 players, etc to defray the cost. In the United States you can go to jail for some years.

dduardo said:
In Canada it is completely legal to download files from the internet since your paying an additional tax on all cds, mp3 players, etc to defray the cost.

Could you please post a reference for this? Thanks.

Why do people upload anyway? Do all "uploaders" have a site that advertises or something?

Gonzolo said:
Why do people upload anyway? Do all "uploaders" have a site that advertises or something?
File-sharing ethics! :tongue2: If no one uploads, how do you expect to download anything?

dduardo said:
http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5121479.html?tag=nefd_lede

Downloading is legal, uploading isn't

Now that sounds more like the way Canadians would do things! :tongue2: You can download all you want, but if nobody uploads, that doesn't get you very far. It actually makes a surprising amount of sense though. Afterall, the person with the actual CD in their hands has that little bit about it being copyright protected material right in front of them, so have fair notice that what they are about to do is illegal, while it's a lot harder for someone downloading to really know (if they should know is another issue) whether the material is being distributed with permission or not.

So as a Canadian can I legally download movies? What about movies that haven't came out on video?

I download tons of stuff, COME GET ME :biggrin:

I drive a couple hundred miles to the Canadian border for my monthly quota of downloading :wink:

You wouldn't get in trouble unless you distribute them...

I have 2-3 hard drives full of everything from Music to Videos to Games, I don't know anyone who's even been charged (ok, I do know ONE, but he's an american) downloading is openly discussed in public areas, it's not an issue in Canada.

Smurf said:
The most common way a young person asks for help is to say "My friend..."
No way. :shy:
Well i guess I am going to jail. Actually... no, I'm an incredible leacher when it comes to files.

1. How many copyright laws are there?

As a scientist, my expertise lies in the field of science and not law. However, according to the United States Copyright Office, there are numerous copyright laws in place to protect the rights of creators and authors. These laws vary depending on the country and jurisdiction.

2. Can you break multiple copyright laws at once?

Yes, it is possible to break multiple copyright laws at once if the actions of the individual or entity infringe on multiple copyrighted works. Each copyrighted work is protected under its own set of laws, so violating more than one work can result in multiple copyright infringement charges.

3. How can someone determine if they have broken a copyright law?

The best way to determine if you have broken a copyright law is to consult with a legal professional who specializes in intellectual property and copyright law. They can review your actions and the specific laws in your jurisdiction to provide a clear answer.

4. What are the consequences of breaking copyright laws?

The consequences of breaking copyright laws vary depending on the severity of the infringement and the jurisdiction. In most cases, the copyright holder can take legal action against the infringer, which may result in fines, damages, and even imprisonment in extreme cases.

5. Is ignorance of copyright laws a valid defense?

No, ignorance of copyright laws is not a valid defense for breaking them. It is the responsibility of individuals and entities to educate themselves on copyright laws and ensure they are not infringing on the rights of others. Claiming ignorance will not excuse the violation.