How many particles of air do their lungs contain after inhaling?

In summary, the first person to leave the submarine takes a breath as deep as possible by exhaling as far as possible (leaving a volume of 1.170 L in their lungs), and then slowly inhaling to increase their lung volume by 4.580 L. Their body temperature is also 37.64 °C.
booooo
A submarine has run into trouble and is stuck at the bottom of the ocean. Several people are on board and must make their way to the surface without any diving gear. The air pressure aboard the submarine is 3.400 atm. The air temperature inside the submarine is 16.36 °C and you can take body temperature (inside the lungs) to be 37.64 °C.
The first person to leave also takes a breath as deep as possible by exhaling as far as possible (leaving a volume of 1.170 L in their lungs), and then slowly inhaling to increase their lung volume by 4.580 L. His body temperature is also 37.64 °C.

(i)How many particles of air do their lungs contain after inhaling?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to demonstrate an attempt at solving this in order to get help here.

I used V1/T1=V2/T2
where V1=4.88, T1=309.19k, T2=286.7k and V2 is the unknown.
then I put V2 in the formula PV2=nRT P-3.5atm T-309.19
I got 6.16^e-3 but the answer is 4.92e+23
... far out

Why is V2 is unknown? You are given the volume after the exhalation, and you are told by how much it increases after the inhalation.

awwwww
I just used PV=nRT
P- atm= 202.658 V=5.13 T=309.19
but its still not right... where went wrong??

Why is V = 5.13? And this is 5.13 of what? What units should you be using?

the volume of lung? 1.7+4.58m3
then times 6.02*10e23...?

Can you image what a cubic meter looks like? Now imagine someone's lungs which are MULTIPLE cubic meters.

oh! stupid me!
so that will be 0.00513m3
ummmm in getting 2.44*10^23 ..

Are you unable to sum 1.17 and 4.58?

oh.. that was a typo.. should be 'increase their lung volume by 4.880 L' and so 0.00593 for V

So, do you get the right answer now?

no... I am getting 2.81*10^20
... couldn't figure out where has gone wrong...

What value for P are you using?

oh right! I've got the answer now ;)
Thank you sooo much

1. How many particles of air are inhaled with each breath?

The number of particles of air inhaled with each breath varies depending on the size of the breath and the individual's lung capacity. On average, an adult inhales about 500 mL of air with each breath, which contains approximately 10^22 particles.

2. Can the number of particles inhaled be measured?

Yes, the number of particles inhaled can be measured using specialized equipment such as a particle counter. This device counts the number of particles in a given volume of air and can provide an accurate measurement of the number of particles inhaled.

3. Do the number of particles inhaled change based on location or environment?

Yes, the number of particles inhaled can vary based on the location and environment. For example, areas with high levels of air pollution may contain more particles in the air, resulting in a higher number of particles being inhaled. Similarly, environments with high levels of dust or pollen may also result in a higher particle count.

4. Do people with larger lung capacities inhale more particles?

Yes, individuals with larger lung capacities may inhale more particles with each breath compared to those with smaller lung capacities. This is because a larger lung capacity allows for a greater volume of air to be inhaled with each breath.

5. How many particles are exhaled with each breath?

The number of particles exhaled with each breath is similar to the number inhaled. However, some particles may also be removed from the air during gas exchange in the lungs. The exact number of particles exhaled can vary depending on factors such as lung capacity and overall health.