How many years would it take for the glacier to move .74km?

• Thread starter doggerz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, the conversation was about calculating the time it would take for a glacier to move a certain distance based on its speed. The original poster had trouble converting units and dividing to get the correct answer, but another user helped by providing the correct conversion and explaining the steps to find the answer. The final answer was approximately 572 years.
doggerz
omg help!

ok ppl I am having trouble with this problem...

A glacier moves with a speed of 41 nm/s. How many years would it take for the glacier to move .74km? answer in units of yr.

ok and this is what I've done...

i changed 41 nm to km which i got as 41*10^-6 ...

and then i divided it by 0.74 and got some weird number like 31536000

ur somebody please tell me how to do it

Physics news on Phys.org
first of all, a nanometer is 10^-12 kilometers

so the velocity would actually be 4.1*10^-11 km/s

now we convert this into km/h, so:

(4.1*10^-11)*3600 = 1.476*10^-7 km/h

now to get time it would take, we obviously use t = d/v:

t = (0.74)/(1.476*10^-7)

t = 5013550.136 hours

which is approximately 572 years

thanks so much u basically helped me through half of my homework! u guyz are awesome at this site!

1. How do glaciers move?

Glaciers move through a process called internal deformation, where the ice crystals within the glacier slide past each other. They also move through basal sliding, where the glacier slides on a layer of meltwater or sediments at its base.

2. What factors affect the speed at which glaciers move?

The speed at which glaciers move is influenced by various factors including temperature, snowfall, slope of the glacier, and the presence of water or other lubricating substances.

3. How do scientists measure the movement of glaciers?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the movement of glaciers, such as GPS, aerial photography, and ground-based measurements using stakes or prisms.

4. Can glaciers move faster or slower over time?

Yes, glaciers can move faster or slower over time depending on changes in the factors that affect their movement, such as climate and topography. Additionally, some glaciers may experience seasonal variations in movement.

5. How long would it take for a glacier to move .74km?

The time it takes for a glacier to move .74km can vary greatly depending on the specific glacier and its environment. Some glaciers can move this distance in a matter of days, while others may take several years.