How much does the raft move with change of position?

In summary, The problem at hand involves finding the distance and direction of a raft's movement. The first part, finding the distance, was solved using the formula x2-x1/y2-y1. However, there is confusion on how to determine the direction. The suggested method is to use Pythagorean theorem to find the distance of shift and then use arctan to find the angle. There is a question about whether the angle should be measured from the point of origin or not. The answer is that it does not need a reference point, just a reference direction. It can be measured relative to the x-axis or any other direction that is clearly described. The magnitude of the distance should be positive. Finally, it is determined that
ninesixfive
HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
heres the problem...
upload_2015-4-14_9-20-19.png

and i figured out part a but don't understand how to get the second part, here is what i have done...
upload_2015-4-14_9-21-49.png

my question is should the angle be from the point of origin? what I am getting is -2.12 meters in a direction of -45 degrees. is this correct? I'm using x2-x1/y2-y1 to get 1.5/-1.5 then using Pythagorean to get the distance of shift and using arctan(-1.5/1.5) to get the -45 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ninesixfive said:
my question is should the angle be from the point of origin?
The vector does not need a reference point, just a reference direction. Relative to the x-axis should be fine. Or relative to some other direction which you clearly describe. Like "from the center towards the new position of [...]".
The magnitude should be positive.

So could I say the raft moves 2.12 meters in a direction of 135 degrees when viewing form above?

If you clarify 135 degrees relative to what, sure.

relative to the point of origin (bottom left corner)... looking at it from above it would move into the the third quadrant , of course the raft would stay square to the x and y axis

1. How does the raft move with a change in position?

The movement of a raft with a change in position is dependent on various factors such as the force and direction of the wind, current, and weight distribution on the raft. These factors can cause the raft to move in a certain direction or rotate.

2. What is the effect of weight distribution on the movement of a raft?

The weight distribution on a raft can greatly affect its movement. If the weight is evenly distributed, the raft will move in a straight line. However, if the weight is unevenly distributed, it can cause the raft to tilt or rotate.

3. How does wind impact the movement of a raft?

Wind can have a significant impact on the movement of a raft. If the wind is blowing in the same direction as the raft, it can push it forward. However, if the wind is blowing from the side, it can cause the raft to drift or turn.

4. Can the current affect the movement of a raft?

Yes, the current can greatly affect the movement of a raft. If the current is strong and moving in the same direction as the raft, it can speed up its movement. However, if the current is moving in the opposite direction, it can slow down or even reverse the raft's movement.

5. How can one control the movement of a raft?

The movement of a raft can be controlled by using paddles or oars to steer and propel the raft in the desired direction. Proper weight distribution and knowledge of wind and current patterns can also help in controlling the movement of a raft.