How much energy must a 6.0 V battery expend to fully charge a ccapacitor

In summary, the energy required to charge a capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage. This means that a higher voltage battery will require more energy to fully charge a capacitor compared to a lower voltage battery. The energy expended by a battery to charge a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where C is the capacitance and V is the voltage. However, the energy expended is not constant and depends on various factors. A lower voltage battery can still fully charge a capacitor with a higher voltage rating, but it will take more time and energy. Lastly, the energy expended by a battery to charge a capacitor is reversible, meaning the stored energy can be released to power a circuit and the battery
jhcollaz

Homework Statement

How much energy must a 6.0 V battery expend to fully charge a 0.13 µF and a 0.21 µF capacitor when they are placed in the following configurations?

Another question if anyone can help we get started on this one. I'm not sure where to begin

How strong is the electric field between the plates of an 0.86 µF air-gap capacitor if they are 1.9 mm apart and each has a charge of 74 µC?

Homework Equations

In my attempt at a solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/a/ELKdZ#1

Part b series

I keep getting 0.000001 J but it says it not right, can anyone help me out?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I just did the same calculation and also got 0.000001, however, if you multiply it by 10^6, you get 1.445, which means the calculator is rounding off and not showing all the digits. It would probably be more accurate if you wrote 1.445 micro joules rather than 0.000001 J.

1. How does voltage affect the energy required to charge a capacitor?

The energy required to charge a capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage. This means that a 6.0 V battery will require more energy to fully charge a capacitor compared to a 3.0 V battery.

2. Can the energy expended by a battery be calculated using the voltage and capacitance?

Yes, the energy expended by a battery to charge a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where C is the capacitance in farads and V is the voltage in volts.

3. Is the energy expended by a battery to charge a capacitor constant?

No, the energy expended by a battery to charge a capacitor is not constant. It depends on the capacitance and voltage, as well as factors such as internal resistance and charging time.

4. Can a battery with a lower voltage fully charge a capacitor with a higher voltage rating?

Yes, a battery with a lower voltage can fully charge a capacitor with a higher voltage rating. However, it will require more time and energy to do so compared to a battery with a higher voltage.

5. Is the energy expended by a battery to charge a capacitor reversible?

Yes, the energy expended by a battery to charge a capacitor is reversible. This means that the capacitor can release the stored energy to power a circuit, and the battery can be recharged to restore the energy.