1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much energy must a 6.0 V battery expend to fully charge a ccapacitor

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much energy must a 6.0 V battery expend to fully charge a 0.13 µF and a 0.21 µF capacitor when they are placed in the following configurations?

Another question if anyone can help we get started on this one. I'm not sure where to begin

How strong is the electric field between the plates of an 0.86 µF air-gap capacitor if they are 1.9 mm apart and each has a charge of 74 µC?

2. Relevant equations

In my attempt at a solution.

3. The attempt at a solution

http://imgur.com/a/ELKdZ#1

Part b series

I keep getting 0.000001 J but it says it not right, can any one help me out?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2
    I just did the same calculation and also got 0.000001, however, if you multiply it by 10^6, you get 1.445, which means the calculator is rounding off and not showing all the digits. It would probably be more accurate if you wrote 1.445 micro joules rather than 0.000001 J.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook