How Much Force Does a 15 kg Block Exert on a 20 kg Block on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, we have an inclined plane with two blocks on it, a higher block with a mass of 15 kg and a lower block with a mass of 20 kg. A 200N force is applied to the blocks, causing them to move up the inclined plane at a constant speed. Taking into account an incline angle of 20 degrees and a kinetic friction coefficient of 0.1, the force exerted by the higher block on the lower block is approximately 234.8N. However, it is unlikely that the blocks will move at a constant speed with this setup, as they will likely accelerate up the slope.
techie86

Homework Statement

We have an inclined plane, 20 degrees, with two blocks on it. The higher block (m2) is 15 kg and the lower block (m1) is 20 kg. A 200N force is applied to the blocks and they move up the inclined plane at a constant speed. What force does the 15 kg block exert on the 20 kg block?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking is as follows. The net force in the parallel direction must be zero since we have a constant speed. Therefore, the sum of the forces from blocks 1 and 2 must equal 200N.

m1*g*sin(20) + m2*g*sin(20) = 200N

We want the force that the higher block (m2) exerts on the lower block (m1).

m2*g*sin(20) = 200N - m1*g*sin(20)... so we need to find 200N - m1*g*sin(20).

This comes out to: 200N - (20kg)(-9.8 m/s^2)*sin(20 deg) = 200 - -67 = 267 N.

Does this answer make sense to anyone?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
techie86 said:

Homework Statement

We have an inclined plane, 20 degrees, with two blocks on it. The higher block (m2) is 15 kg and the lower block (m1) is 20 kg. A 200N force is applied to the blocks and they move up the inclined plane at a constant speed. What force does the 15 kg block exert on the 20 kg block?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking is as follows. The net force in the parallel direction must be zero since we have a constant speed. Therefore, the sum of the forces from blocks 1 and 2 must equal 200N.

m1*g*sin(20) + m2*g*sin(20) = 200N

m2*g*sin(20) = 200N - m1*g*sin(20)... so we need to find 200N - m1*g*sin(20).

This comes out to: 200N - (20kg)(-9.8 m/s^2)*sin(20 deg) = 200 - -67 = 267 N.

Does this answer make sense to anyone?

Thanks!

have you considered whether there is any friction, as I don't think you said the surface was smooth?

Oh dear, yes I forgot! The kinetic friction is 0.1. If I had to guess, this might change my answer as:

Fparallel - Ffriction for each block...

m1*g*sin(20)-0.1*m1*g*cos(20) + m2*g*sin(20)-0.1*m2*g*cos(20) = 200N

m2*g*sin(20) = 200N - m1*g*sin(20) + 0.1*m1*g*cos(20) + 0.1*m2*g*cos(20)... so we need to find 200N - m1*g*sin(20) + 0.1*m1*g*cos(20) + 0.1*m2*g*cos(20).

This comes out to: 200N - 20*-9.8*sin(20) + 0.1*20*-9.8*cos(20) + 0.1*15*-9.8*cos(20) = 234.8N

Maybe this is right?

techie86 said:
Oh dear, yes I forgot! The kinetic friction is 0.1. If I had to guess, this might change my answer as:

Fparallel - Ffriction for each block...

m1*g*sin(20)-0.1*m1*g*cos(20) + m2*g*sin(20)-0.1*m2*g*cos(20) = 200N

m2*g*sin(20) = 200N - m1*g*sin(20) + 0.1*m1*g*cos(20) + 0.1*m2*g*cos(20)... so we need to find 200N - m1*g*sin(20) + 0.1*m1*g*cos(20) + 0.1*m2*g*cos(20).

This comes out to: 200N - 20*-9.8*sin(20) + 0.1*20*-9.8*cos(20) + 0.1*15*-9.8*cos(20) = 234.8N

Maybe this is right?

I doubt it.

It takes only 196 N to LIFT a 20kg block. It is going to take a lot less than that to move it up the slope.

The force acting down the slope on the 20kg block are a component of the weight force - less than half the 196 N weight force, plus the friction force, less than 0.1 x the weight force, so the answer will be less than 0.6 x 196 N.
By correctly applying the sine and cosine factors you should get the real answer.

btw: When a 200N force is applied to this pair of masses I don't think it will move at constant speed if μk = 0.1. It will accelerate up the slope.

Yes, your answer makes sense. In this scenario, the force that the 15 kg block exerts on the 20 kg block is 267 N. This is because the 200N force is being split between the two blocks, with a larger portion being applied to the 20 kg block due to its greater mass. This demonstrates the concept of Newton's Third Law, where for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The 15 kg block exerts a force on the 20 kg block in the opposite direction, allowing both blocks to move up the inclined plane at a constant speed.

Related to How Much Force Does a 15 kg Block Exert on a 20 kg Block on an Inclined Plane?

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, allowing objects to be moved up or down the slope with less effort than it would take to lift the object directly.

2. How do blocks behave on an inclined plane?

Blocks on an inclined plane will slide downward due to the force of gravity. The angle of the plane and the weight of the block will determine the speed at which it slides down.

3. What factors affect the movement of blocks on an inclined plane?

The angle of the plane, the weight of the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the plane's surface all affect the movement of blocks on an inclined plane.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the movement of blocks?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the block will slide down due to the increased force of gravity. However, if the angle is too steep, the block may slide uncontrollably or topple over.

5. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect blocks on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In the case of blocks on an inclined plane, a higher coefficient of friction between the block and the plane's surface will result in a slower movement or even prevent the block from sliding at all.