How much power needed to charge a battery?

In summary: The current starts out high and tapers down over time as the battery becomes charged. The battery should be monitored while charging and disconnected before it becomes overcharged.In summary, a 6v rechargeable battery can be charged with an arbitrarily small amount of power, as long as the voltage is equal to or slightly higher than 6v. The smaller the power used, the more efficient the charging process will be. The capacity of the battery will determine the amount of power needed, and the current should be monitored while charging to prevent overcharging.
niallniall
Hello I am new here, Dont really know if I'm asking in the right place, but. Can anyone tell me how much power I would have to put into a 6v rechargeable battery to actually charge it. I am looking for the smallest amount of power I can get away with to be able to Charge the 6v battery.

Thanks People. o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to charge it with an arbitrarily small amount of power if you are willing to spend an arbitrarily long amount of time. In fact, the smaller the power you use the more efficient the charging will be because you will have less heat.

-Dale

Thanks Dale, How small is arbitrary?:blushing: less than 1 v?

Depends on what kind of battery you have (capacity wise). Volts is not a unit of power either. You will need to give it 6V i believe and how much power you need is completely dependant on what the capacity of the battery is.

I've never heard of a 6V rechargable battery (I've seen 4 1.5's in series...) so I wouldn't have a clue how much power you would need.

I believe a AA battery can supply roughly 3Watt-hours of electricity at normal draw which is about 1100 Joules of energy...

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
I've never heard of a 6V rechargable battery (I've seen 4 1.5's in series...) so I wouldn't have a clue how much power you would need.
Since most 6V batteries are the spring terminal or screw terminal types, I have also never seen a rechargable version of them. The type that are available here will recharge AAA, AA, C, D or 9V. Anything else pretty much has to be bought new.

ohhhhhhhhhh yah, those kinds of batteries. What are those things called with the spring terminals... lantern batteries?

Correctomundo, oh flippered one. Both types are. The spring terminal type fit inside a lantern housing. The screw terminal type actually becomes the main body of the lantern, because the lamp holder part screws onto the top of it.

niallniall said:
Welcome to PF, niallnaill. Do you know the relationship between power and energy? Are you familiar with the energy content of the batteries that you want to recharge? A volt is not a measure of either power or energy -- what exactly are you trying to optimize?

niallniall said:
Well, your battery is 6V so you will need at least 6V as indicated by others here. You can use an arbitrarily small current, meaning as small as you want, 1 mA or even less if you wanted. Power is voltage times current, so that could be as small as you want. (e.g. 6V * 1mA = 6 mW)

-Dale

The voltage just has to some amount over 6 volts, or since a typical 3 cell battery is really 6.6 volts, you'd need 6.6 volts to top off the battery. The initial voltage on a drained battery would be less, so you'd need less voltage, but as it approached full charge, you'd have to keep increasing voltage to just exceed that of the battery.

Most batteries include an capacity rating, but the actual capacity varies with the load (or charge rate). AA nicads for radio control models typically have about 1.1AmpHour capacity. AA nimh batteries hold about 1.7 AmpHours. LiPoly batteries are even better in terms of capacity versus weight, but usually come in flat packs, and are combined both in series and/or in parallel in a pack to increase current output (parallel) and voltage ouptut (series). Nicads, Nimh, LiPoly, and typical dry cell batteries work best when cold. Lead-acid batteries work best when fairly warm.

Thanks for all the help guys and girls. I actually no nothing at all or very little about physics. Just what I learned in school basically, and the stuff I have read here.

So am I right in thinking that if I have the right battery, let's say 6v I can fully recharge it using a 6v supply?

Also how many watts is equal to 6v?

Thanks in advance for answers :)

Volts and watts aren't the same unit so there's no way of saying what it's equal to. Since we're dealing with a battery, we say it's DC current.Watt is a unit of power. It is Joules/Second. Joules is energy, it's the water in the cup, it's the coal on the train, it is the main thing here. You can determine how many watts are being produced when you know the current being generated by multiplying the Volts * Amps (current). When you're looking at how many Joules can be stored in a battery... it's more meaningful to talk about WH (watt-hours). If your battery has 500Watt-hours in it, that means it can produce 500 watts for 1 hour or 250 watts for 2 hours etc etc. That means it can produce 500 Joules per second for 1 hour which tells you it has a capacity of 500wh's.

The problem is, in your situation, is that the battery is already empty. You will simply have to hook it up and let it charge because unless you know anything else about the battery, there's no way of telling it's capacity.

niallniall said:
So am I right in thinking that if I have the right battery, let's say 6v I can fully recharge it using a 6v supply?
A typical 6 volt battery is really 7.2 volts, and charging voltage is a bit higher than this to top off the battery.

1. How is power consumption measured for charging a battery?

Power consumption for charging a battery is measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). This is the rate at which energy is used to charge the battery. It is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) of the battery by the current (A) flowing through it.

2. How much power is typically needed to charge a battery?

The amount of power needed to charge a battery varies depending on the type and size of the battery. Generally, a small battery for a device like a smartphone may only require a few watts, while a larger battery for an electric car may require several kilowatts.

3. Can you charge a battery with any power source?

No, not all power sources are suitable for charging a battery. The power source must match the voltage and current requirements of the battery. Using a power source with too high or too low voltage or current could damage the battery or cause it to not charge properly.

4. How long does it take to charge a battery with a certain amount of power?

The charging time of a battery also depends on its type and size, as well as the power source being used. Generally, a higher power source will charge a battery faster. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended charging time for the specific battery to avoid overcharging.

5. Can charging a battery with too much power damage it?

Yes, charging a battery with too much power can damage it. Overcharging can cause the battery to overheat and potentially explode. It is important to use a power source that matches the voltage and current requirements of the battery to avoid damage.