What weight is needed to keep a relief valve closed at 10 psi on a large vessel?

• Thread starter steves1080
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses adding a 10 psi purge to a large vessel with a relief valve set to lift at 0.5 psi. The speaker is trying to figure out how much weight is needed to keep the valve closed and after calculations, determines that it would require around 1075 pounds due to the large area the pressure is acting on.
steves1080
I have a large vessel that I would like to add a 10 psi purge to. There is a relief valve on it that is set to lift at 0.5 psi (essentially a flat circular plate 1 ft in diameter), so I am simply looking to keep this closed so that I can build up 10 psi inside the tank (don't worry, the tnak is rated for that pressure). Trying to figure out how much weight I'd need to do this, but doing the calc gives me a circular area of ~113 square inches, which would then provide a force of (113)(10) = 1130 lbf. I highly doubt I need 1130 pounds to hold this closed, so I must be missing something obvious here. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

You need a pressure of 9.5psi to keep the valve shut (difference in pressure). Using F = P*A and W = F/g I get a weight of around 1075lbs. Seems a lot but it's quite a straight forward calculation - you have a large area that the pressure is acting on.

1. What is the ideal weight for my height?

The ideal weight for an individual depends on various factors such as age, gender, body composition, and overall health. It is best to consult a healthcare professional to determine a healthy weight range for your specific body type.

2. How much weight should I lift during strength training?

The amount of weight you should lift during strength training depends on your fitness level and goals. It is recommended to start with a weight that is challenging but still allows you to complete the exercise with proper form. Gradually increase the weight as you get stronger.

3. How much weight should I lose to reach a healthy BMI?

BMI (Body Mass Index) is a measurement of body fat based on height and weight. The healthy range for BMI is between 18.5-24.9. To reach a healthy BMI, the amount of weight you need to lose will vary depending on your current BMI. It is best to consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice.

4. How much weight should I gain during pregnancy?

The recommended weight gain during pregnancy depends on pre-pregnancy weight and varies for each trimester. On average, a woman with a healthy BMI should gain between 25-35 pounds during pregnancy. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations.

5. How much weight can I lose in a week?

The amount of weight an individual can lose in a week depends on various factors such as current weight, diet, and exercise routine. A safe and sustainable amount of weight to lose in a week is 1-2 pounds. Rapid weight loss can be unhealthy and should be avoided.