How Relativity Connects Electric and Magnetic Fields

In summary, the article discusses the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in different frames of reference. It explains that in a vacuum, where there is no background positive charge, there will be no repelling force and thus no magnetic field in the wire frame of reference. However, in the "wire frame," the electric field produced by the negative charges must also be taken into account. The article also mentions a study on the electric and magnetic fields generated by a moving electric point charge.
nathan.br
Hi,

I came to the following article, and I have a questions about it:

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/rel_el_mag.html

From this article, it seems that if the electric current is not flowing in a wire, but instead in vacuum there will be no repelling force (since there is no background positive charge). If there is no repelling force, what we call magnetic field in the wire frame of reference will not exist.

Can I conclude that an electric current does not create a magnetic field if it is flowing in vacuum?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you remove the wire and its positive charges, in the second frame you do eliminate the electric field that the positive charges produce. However, in the first frame (the "wire frame") you now have to take into account the electric field that the negative charges produce!

The electric field produced by the negative charges has a different magnitude in the two frames, because the charge density is different in the two frames.

nathan.br said:
Hi,

I came to the following article, and I have a questions about it:

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/rel_el_mag.html

From this article, it seems that if the electric current is not flowing in a wire, but instead in vacuum there will be no repelling force (since there is no background positive charge). If there is no repelling force, what we call magnetic field in the wire frame of reference will not exist.

Can I conclude that an electric current does not create a magnetic field if it is flowing in vacuum?
I think that the game with infinitely long wires is counterproductive. Have a look at JEMWA 20 No.9 1189 2006 "Relativistic derivations of electric and magnetic fields generated by an electric point charge moving with constant velocity"

1. What is the connection between electric and magnetic fields in relativity?

In relativity, electric and magnetic fields are not separate entities but are different aspects of the same phenomenon. They are interrelated and can transform into each other depending on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does relativity explain the behavior of electric and magnetic fields?

Relativity explains the behavior of electric and magnetic fields through the concept of spacetime. Electric and magnetic fields are manifestations of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of charged particles or moving charges.

3. Can relativity unify electric and magnetic fields?

Yes, relativity unifies electric and magnetic fields by showing that they are different manifestations of the same underlying phenomenon. This unification is known as electromagnetic field theory, which is a fundamental aspect of modern physics.

4. How does special relativity affect the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Special relativity explains that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the relationship between electric and magnetic fields remains consistent, regardless of the observer's frame of reference. However, the strength and direction of the fields may appear different to different observers.

5. Is there a practical application of the connection between electric and magnetic fields in relativity?

Yes, the connection between electric and magnetic fields in relativity has practical applications in various technologies, such as generators, motors, and transformers. These technologies rely on the transformation of electric and magnetic fields to produce electricity and power various devices.