How tell what Amps in a drop down volt diode

In summary, the individual is working on a 2 cell lipo pack and needs to lower the voltage from 8.4 to under 6 volts. They have been using diodes for this purpose, but need to know the current rating and which diodes to use for a system with 4 servos. The recommended solution is to use 4 diodes, and the current rating can be found by searching for the data sheet of the diode model used. Generally, a 1N4007 diode has a 1 amp rating while larger 5mm diameter diodes have a rating of 3 amps.
tpczx6
Hi
I working on a 2 cell lipo pack and need to drop the volts from 8.4 to under 6 volts. I have been using diode to do this but now I need to know what amps it will handle and which diodes to use. the setup I have now runs one servo that might pull 0.25 amps but now going to a system that will be using 4 servos so I might need to be able to pull 2 or 3 amps at a given time.

Any info will help

Thanks in Advanced

T

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will need 4 diodes to do this and the current rating of these diodes is the normal current rating given in the data sheets.

So, read the number on the diode and type it into Google to get a data sheet for that diode. Then look for the current rating.

If it is a 1N4007 or similar diode, it will be about 3 mm in diameter and these have a rating of 1 amp. Larger diodes with a diameter of 5 mm have a rating of 3 amps or so.

Thanks for the info

1. How do I determine the Amps in a drop down volt diode?

To determine the Amps in a drop down volt diode, you will need to refer to the diode's datasheet. The datasheet will provide information on the diode's maximum forward current rating, which is measured in Amperes (A). This rating will tell you the maximum amount of current that the diode can safely handle without getting damaged.

2. Can I calculate the Amps in a drop down volt diode using Ohm's Law?

No, Ohm's Law cannot be used to directly calculate the Amps in a drop down volt diode. This is because a diode is a non-linear device, which means its current-voltage relationship is not proportional. Additionally, the forward voltage drop of a diode is not constant and can vary based on temperature and other factors.

3. How does the voltage affect the Amps in a drop down volt diode?

The voltage does not directly affect the Amps in a drop down volt diode. However, the voltage applied to the diode will determine the amount of current that can flow through it. If the voltage applied exceeds the diode's maximum forward voltage rating, the diode may fail or become damaged.

4. Is the Amp rating the same for all drop down volt diodes?

No, the Amp rating can vary for different drop down volt diodes. This is because the Amp rating is determined by the diode's construction, materials, and intended use. It is important to refer to the specific diode's datasheet to determine its Amp rating.

5. Can I use a drop down volt diode with a higher Amp rating than what I need?

Yes, you can use a drop down volt diode with a higher Amp rating than what you need. The diode will only allow the required amount of current to flow through it, so it will not be damaged. However, using a diode with a significantly higher Amp rating may result in a larger and more expensive component than necessary.