How to Align Text to the Left Using the Aligned Environment

• MHB
  • Thread starter bwpbruce
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the align command in LaTeX to align text. The speaker is looking for a way to align the text to the left, without indentation. The suggestion of using the aligned environment and wrapping it in dollar signs is made as a possible solution.
bwpbruce
If I use the align command, my text is usually either indented or centered by default. What do I need to do in order for my text to align left. I prefer if someone demonstrate how to do it.\begin{align*}\dfrac{a}{t} - \dfrac{b}{t}&=\dfrac{1}{t}(a) - \dfrac{1}{t}(b) \\&=\dfrac{1}{t}(a - b) \\&=\dfrac{1}{t} \dot\ \dfrac{a - b}{1} \\&=\dfrac{a - b}{t}\end{align*}

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't put the word "Subtract" inside the align environment. It's text, and there doesn't seem to be a reason to put it inside the math environment. If you want to force it not to indent, you can use the
Code:
\noindent
command.

bwpbruce said:
If I use the align command, my text is usually either indented or centered by default. What do I need to do in order for my text to align left. I prefer if someone demonstrate how to do it.
Indented and aligned left are not mutually exclusive. Are you talking about LaTeX in MHB or about compiling complete files using your LaTeX installation? Can you explain exactly what behavior you want? What is the purpose of your example?

Ackbach said:
I wouldn't put the word "Subtract" inside the align environment. It's text, and there doesn't seem to be a reason to put it inside the math environment. If you want to force it not to indent, you can use the
Code:
\noindent
command.

The no indent command doesn't seem to work well in conjunction with the align command.

- - - Updated - - -

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Indented and aligned left are not mutually exclusive. Are you talking about LaTeX in MHB or about compiling complete files using your LaTeX installation? Can you explain exactly what behavior you want? What is the purpose of your example?

If you can show me a way to post the text so that it is not indented but still align the equal signs, then that's what I want to be able to do.

The environment [m]aligned[/m] is similar to [m]align[/m], but it does not take the whole line width and can be used as a subformula inside math mode. So if you wrap [m]aligned[/m] in dollar signs and make it a start of a paragraph, then it should have no indent.

$\begin{aligned}\dfrac{a}{t} - \dfrac{b}{t}&=\dfrac{1}{t}(a) - \dfrac{1}{t}(b) \\&=\dfrac{1}{t}(a - b) \\&=\dfrac{1}{t} \dot\ \dfrac{a - b}{1} \\&=\dfrac{a - b}{t}\end{aligned}$

Related to How to Align Text to the Left Using the Aligned Environment

1. What does the Align Command do?

The Align Command is a function in many software programs that allows you to align objects, images, or text in a specific way. It can help you create a more organized and visually appealing layout by aligning elements along a specific axis, such as left, right, center, or top to bottom.

2. How do I use the Align Command?

The specific steps for using the Align Command may vary depending on the software you are using, but generally, you can select the objects you want to align and then click on the Align Command in the toolbar or menu. From there, you can choose the type of alignment you want to apply.

3. Can I align objects to a specific point on the page?

Yes, many Align Commands allow you to specify a specific point on the page to align your objects to. This can be helpful when you want to align objects to a specific object or guideline on your page.

4. Does the Align Command work with multiple objects at once?

Yes, you can select multiple objects and use the Align Command to align them all together. This can save you time and effort when trying to create a consistent layout.

5. Are there any shortcuts for using the Align Command?

Depending on the software you are using, there may be keyboard shortcuts for using the Align Command. It is always helpful to check the software's documentation or do a quick online search to see if there are any shortcuts available.