How to Avoid Common Mistakes in Solving Forces Problems?

In summary, the resultant pull on the particle is 739.94N at 25.82° from north. The correct method involves using cos and sin for the x and y components, respectively, and ensuring that the calculator is set to the correct angle measurement (degrees or radians). It is also helpful to draw the vectors on an x-y plot to visualize the direction.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A particles is under the influence of two forces, 500N at 50° from north and 350N at 350° from north. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant pull on the particle.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]
x=500cos40-350cos80\\
x=322.25N\\
y=500sin40+350cos10\\
y=666.08N \\

\sqrt{322.25^2 + 666.08^2}=739.94N \\
arctan(322.25/666.08)=25.82° from north. \\
[/itex]
I am a bit confused on when to use cos or sin. The above is how a classmate pursaded me to change it to but on my first go I had
[itex]
x=500cos40-350sin10 \\

y=500sin40+350cos10 \\
[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the vectors on an x-y plot (+y = North). It should be obvious from that.

rude man said:
Draw the vectors on an x-y plot (+y = North). It should be obvious from that.

Thanks for your reply. I have already done that and the figure and direction obtained seem correct but I don't know for sure and if my method is correct.

EDIT: Sorry just realized my mistake. They are both the same but doing it a different way, my calculator was set on radians instead of degrees and that is why I was getting different figure to earlier :redface: sorry.

Last edited:
FaraDazed said:
..., my calculator was set on radians instead of degrees ...
A very common mistake. Remember to check the setting whenever you have an exam :smile:

\sqrt{322.25^2 + 666.08^2}=739.94N \\
arctan(322.25/666.08)=25.82° from north. \\

As a scientist, it is important to always approach problem solving with a clear understanding of the fundamental principles and equations involved. In this case, the fundamental principle is Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In order to accurately solve forces problems, it is important to follow these steps:

1. Draw a clear and accurate diagram of the forces acting on the object, including the angles and directions of each force.

2. Decompose the forces into their x and y components using trigonometric functions (cos and sin). This step is necessary because forces acting at an angle to each other cannot be directly added or subtracted.

3. Sum the x and y components of the forces separately, using algebraic addition and subtraction.

4. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant force by taking the square root of the sum of the squared x and y components.

5. Use inverse trigonometric functions to find the direction of the resultant force by taking the arctan of the y component divided by the x component.

In this specific problem, it is important to note that the 350N force is acting in the opposite direction of the 40° angle, therefore it should be subtracted from the 500N force instead of added. This is why using cos for the x component and sin for the y component is the correct approach.

In summary, avoiding common mistakes in solving forces problems involves a thorough understanding of the fundamental principles and equations, as well as careful attention to detail and accuracy in the steps taken to solve the problem. By following these steps, one can avoid errors and confidently arrive at the correct solution.

Related to How to Avoid Common Mistakes in Solving Forces Problems?

1. What is meant by "Resolution of Forces"?

Resolution of forces is a method used in physics and engineering to break down a single force into its components in order to better understand and analyze its effects. It involves breaking down a force vector into its horizontal and vertical components.

2. Why is it important to resolve forces?

Resolving forces allows us to understand the individual effects of each component of a force, which can then be used to calculate the overall effect of the force on an object or system. This is crucial in designing structures, predicting motion, and solving various physics problems.

3. How do you resolve forces?

To resolve forces, we use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of a force. The magnitude and direction of the original force can then be determined using these components.

4. What are some real-world examples of resolution of forces?

One example of resolution of forces is in bridge design. Engineers must resolve all of the forces acting on a bridge, such as the weight of the bridge, the load of vehicles, and wind forces, in order to ensure the bridge can support these forces and remain stable. Another example is in projectile motion, where the force of gravity can be resolved into horizontal and vertical components to determine the trajectory of a projectile.

5. Are there any limitations to resolution of forces?

While resolution of forces is a useful tool, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the components of a force act independently of each other, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it only works for forces acting in two dimensions, so it cannot be used for three-dimensional forces. Furthermore, it does not account for external factors such as friction or air resistance, which can affect the overall force acting on an object or system.