How to Calculate Campbell Angles from Orbital Data?

• Thread starter quasarLie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, to calculate the Campbell angles, we can use the given information of an orbital period of 4600 days, an inclination of 40 degrees, a node line angle of 60 degrees, and a starting angle of 200 degrees. This results in the Campbell angles of i = 40, Ω = -20, and ω = 300.
quasarLie

Homework Statement

How can we calculate, the Campbell anglesknowing :
Orbital period 4600 days
the plane of the orbit makes an angle of 40 with the plane tangent to the celest vault
The node line make an angle of 60 in the direct sense.
starting from the node closest to the north, we find an angle of 200.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the inclination i, which is the angle between the orbital plane and the plan of the sky from data i think it s 40!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the longitude of the ascending node Ω, we can use the formula Ω = 180-200. Therefore, Ω = -20. For the argument of periapsis ω, we can use the formula ω = 360-60. Therefore, ω = 300. The Campbell angles are then i = 40, Ω = -20 and ω = 300.

1. How do I calculate Campbell angles?

To calculate Campbell angles, you will need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. First, determine the length of the sides of the triangle using the given measurements. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric function to calculate the angle.

2. What is the purpose of calculating Campbell angles?

Calculating Campbell angles is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. These angles help determine the orientation and position of objects in space, which is crucial in designing structures and predicting their behavior.

3. What are the different types of Campbell angles?

The three main types of Campbell angles are azimuth, elevation, and tilt angles. Azimuth angle measures the horizontal rotation of an object, elevation angle measures the vertical angle from the horizon, and tilt angle measures the angle of an object from the vertical axis.

4. How do I convert Campbell angles from degrees to radians?

To convert Campbell angles from degrees to radians, multiply the angle in degrees by π/180. For example, if an angle is given as 45 degrees, the conversion to radians would be (45*π)/180 = 0.785 radians.

5. Can Campbell angles be negative?

Yes, Campbell angles can be negative. Negative angles indicate that the object is facing in the opposite direction from the positive angle. However, in some cases, negative angles may be interpreted differently depending on the context and reference frame being used.