How to calculate kinetics values?

• Thread starter BIOS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetics
In summary, this table shows the kinematics of two types of the GOD enzyme. The free enzyme has a faster Vmax and a lower Km, while the immobilized enzyme has a slower Vmax and a higher Km.
BIOS
Hello

The table below shows some kinetics values for two types of the GOD enzyme, the free and the immobilised.

upload_2018-10-21_20-31-9.png

How can I comprehend what these values mean?
I want to know how many grams of substrate are 'converted' per sec per mg of enzyme.
I assume the substrate concentration plays role so I want to be able to incorporate that into the calculations.

Thanks!

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-21_20-31-9.png
    upload_2018-10-21_20-31-9.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 761
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I admit I know next to nothing about enzyme kinetics, just a bit about kinetics in general (not that they are different, just enzyme kinetics uses its own set of assumptions which allows for some specific approximations), but it is up to whoever creates the table to define symbols (unless they are universally understood in the field). Consider consulting the source about their meaning (although Ea is rather obvious).

Vmax units have the term dk-1, any idea what that is?
I would expect to have a unit of time like s-1?

Not sure what the dk^-1 is. Presumably this would have to have units of inverse time. Does the source give a definition?

We often require a student to make more effort to solve a problem. Here we need more effort to tell us what the problem is! We are not told what GOD is, I guess it is nothing transcendental but glucose oxidasae or something.

Maybe this dk-1 is just a misprint? For dt-1 or something.
Vmax Is just the rate of oxidation when the substrate concentration is high (Saturating) - in whatever the units are.

The μ mole/sec/mg protein might possibly be a useful in practical work, but is pretty boring.. More interesting would be to get the Turnover number, the number of catalytic events per second per active site, for which you need to know the molecular mass and number of active sites of the enzymes
The Km etc presumably refer to glucose But there are two cosubstrates of an oxidase and presumably it refers to conditions of constant, solution-saturating, oxygen concentration.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the initial rate of a reaction?

The initial rate of a reaction can be calculated by measuring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over a short period of time at the beginning of the reaction. This change in concentration can then be divided by the corresponding time interval to determine the initial rate.

2. What is the equation for calculating reaction rate?

The general equation for calculating reaction rate is rate = k[A]^m[B]^n, where k is the rate constant, [A] and [B] are the concentrations of reactants, and m and n are the reaction orders. However, the specific equation for calculating reaction rate may vary depending on the type of reaction.

3. How do you determine the order of a reaction?

The order of a reaction can be determined experimentally by conducting several experiments with varying concentrations of reactants and analyzing the corresponding initial rates. The relationship between the concentration and the initial rate will reveal the reaction order.

4. What is the difference between rate constant and rate of reaction?

The rate constant (k) is a proportionality constant that relates the reaction rate to the concentrations of reactants. It is specific to a particular reaction and is determined experimentally. The rate of reaction, on the other hand, is the speed at which a reaction takes place and is influenced by factors such as temperature, concentration, and catalysts.

5. How do you calculate the half-life of a reaction?

The half-life of a reaction can be calculated using the equation t1/2 = ln2/k, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln2 is the natural logarithm of 2, and k is the rate constant. The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the reactant to be consumed or half of the product to be formed.