How to Calculate Maximum Shear Stress: Solid Shaft with Locked Door Handle

In summary, the problem involves calculating the maximum shear stress at section m-m of a locked door handle composed of a solid circular shaft and a flat plate with an applied force. The formula used is \taumax = \frac{Tc}{J}, where T is the internal torque, c is the outer radius, and J is the polar moment of inertia. The units of J are m^4 and the units of the calculated maximum shear stress, \taumax, are Pa. The problem also involves considering the vertical shear stress from the applied force.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

A locked door handle is composed of a solid circular shaft AB with a diameter of b = 108mm and a flat plate BC with a force P = 69N applied at point C as shown. Let c = 532mm , d = 126mm , and e = 153mm .

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex]max = [itex]\frac{Tc}{J}[/itex]
T = internal torque acting at cross section
c = outer radius
J = polar moment of inertia → J = [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]c4

The Attempt at a Solution

I've converted all mm to m.
I just wanted to see if someone could verify that I am on the right track.
radius, c = 0.054 m

1. The torque caused by the P force:
69 N × 0.532 m = 36.71 N*m → acting along the length of the solid shaft.

2. Internal torque, T:
T = 36.71 N*m *0. 126 m = 4.62546 N*m → acting at section m-m

3. J = [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]0.054 m4 = 13.36×10-6m4

[itex]\tau[/itex]max = [itex]\frac{(4.62546 N*m)*(0.054 m)}{13.36×10^{-6} m^4}[/itex]

Attachments

• shaft.JPG
    shaft.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,352
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the problem asking for max shear stress at the section m-m? You left out the actual question.
aaronfue said:

Homework Statement

A locked door handle is composed of a solid circular shaft AB with a diameter of b = 108mm and a flat plate BC with a force P = 69N applied at point C as shown. Let c = 532mm , d = 126mm , and e = 153mm .

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex]max = [itex]\frac{Tc}{J}[/itex]
T = internal torque acting at cross section
c = outer radius
J = polar moment of inertia → J = [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]c4

The Attempt at a Solution

I've converted all mm to m.
I just wanted to see if someone could verify that I am on the right track.
radius, c = 0.054 m

1. The torque caused by the P force:
69 N × 0.532 m = 36.71 N*m → acting along the length of the solid shaft.
Yes, but I wouldn't say it acts 'along' the length: it is an internal torque that acts about the axis AB
2. Internal torque, T:
T = 36.71 N*m *0. 126 m = 4.62546 N*m → acting at section m-m
Why are you multiplying a torque by a distance? Your result is in N*m^2 and incorrect.
3. J = [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]0.054 m4 = 13.36×10-6m4

[itex]\tau[/itex]max = [itex]\frac{(4.62546 N*m)*(0.054 m)}{13.36×10^{-6} m^4}[/itex]
Once you calculate the torsional shear stress, there is the vertical shear stress to consider from the vertical load P.

Please state the question.

Jay:

The shear stress due to an applied torque on a circular shaft is T * r / J. You overlooked the units of the polar moment of inertia J, which is m^4.

So,

tau = T*r/J which has units of N-m * m / m^4 = N/m^2 = Pa, a unit of stress, I believe.

tau = Tr/J is somewhat analogous to finding the bending stress in a beam, where

sigma = M * y / I

Last edited:
SteamKing said:
Jay:

The shear stress due to an applied torque on a circular shaft is T * r / J. You overlooked the units of the polar moment of inertia J, which is m^4.

So,

tau = T*r/J which has units of N-m * m / m^4 = N/m^2 = Pa, a unit of stress, I believe.

tau = Tr/J is somewhat analogous to finding the bending stress in a beam, where

sigma = M * y / I
The OP incorrectly identified the torque in item 2 of Post 1. The vertical shear in the rod was also neglected, if that is what the problem is asking.

= 188.44 MPa

Yes, your calculations seem to be correct. The maximum shear stress in the solid shaft with the locked door handle is 188.44 MPa. This is an important consideration when designing the door handle to ensure it can withstand the applied force without failing.

What is maximum shear stress?

Maximum shear stress is a type of mechanical stress that describes the distribution of force on a material when it is subjected to shear, or parallel, forces. It is the maximum amount of shear stress that a material can withstand before it begins to deform or break.

How is maximum shear stress calculated?

Maximum shear stress is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. Mathematically, it can be represented as τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area.

What is the significance of maximum shear stress?

Maximum shear stress is important in determining the strength and stability of a material or structure. It indicates the maximum amount of force that can be applied to a material before it fails, and is used in engineering and design to ensure the safety and durability of various structures and components.

How does maximum shear stress differ from other types of stress?

Maximum shear stress differs from other types of stress, such as tensile stress and compressive stress, in that it acts in a parallel direction to the material's surface, rather than perpendicular. It is also typically lower than other types of stress, as materials are generally weaker in shear than in tension or compression.

What factors can affect maximum shear stress?

The maximum shear stress that a material can withstand can be affected by various factors, such as the material's composition, shape, and temperature. It can also be influenced by external factors, such as applied loads and environmental conditions. Additionally, certain manufacturing processes or defects in the material can also impact its maximum shear stress.