1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate number of moles and gas formation volume factor?

1. Jul 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to calculate the gas formation volume factor for a reservior, however I am stuck when trying to find the value n - number of moles for a gas to plug into the equation to find Bg, this is what I know;

Bg (gas FVF)= volume of gas at reservoir conditions / volume of gas at standard conditions, I know I have to apply the real gas law here i.e PV=znrt = V=znrt/p, I have the following knowns;

R=10.73 psia ft3 / lb mol Deg R
    T=580 deg R
    P=2195 psia

R= as above
    Tsc= 520 deg R
    Psc = 14.7 psia

Volume %
    methane 83.4
    Ethane 9.8
    Propane 4.5
    isobutane 1.4

I am completely stuck when trying to find n, as I do not know the gas volume (only in %)or the gas weight, I know n=total gas weight / molecular weight, I have tried to work this out by calculating the gas density but I can not progress further than this, I am completely stuck!

Is there any guidance you can offer me on this?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2
    To calculate Number of moles for a gas mixture, is like finding the proportional behaviour of each gas constituent in the mixture. You have a %proportion of each constituent in the mixture, you will use this to get a proportional molecular weight for the mixture
    i.e. ƩYi*Mwi=Mw Yi is the proportional percentages for each member gas in the mixture, while, Mwi is there corresponding Molecular weights which you know.
    From the real gas eqn:
    also recall that density, ρ=m/V
    therefore, ρ=mP/nZRT
    note that m/n = Mw and in this case it will be Mw for the mixture which you have gotten from ƩYi*Mwi=Mw.
    therefore, ρ=Mw*P/ZRT
    With the above calculation, you can use it to get the density,ρ, at reservoir condition and the density,ρ, at standard conditions.
    formation value factor Bg = ρr/ρsc.
    Best of luck
  4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    Assume you have 1 mole of gas. You have the value of z under reservoir conditions, so you can calculate the volume under reservoir conditions. You know the value of z under standard conditions (520?, 14.7 psi), so you can calculate the volume under standard conditions.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook