How to calculate the mass of a hydrogen atom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
reemie
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
The answer according to my booklet is 1.6734×10-24 (g), but I don't understand how we got this answer.

proton: 1.6725×10-24
neutron: 1.6748×10-24
electron: 0.0009×10-24

To get the mass, I added protons with neutrons, but I got 3.3473×10-24.

What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
Why do you think there is a neutron present?
Because the mass number is the sum of protons and neutrons, correct?

Edit:

I realized that hydrogen doesn't have any neutrons, so we should only consider the protons. But that still gives the wrong answer.

And when I subtract the number of protons from the answer, I get 9x10-28, and I can't figure out where this number came from.
 
Last edited:
reemie said:
Because the mass number is the sum of protons and neutrons, correct?

Edit:

I realized that hydrogen doesn't have any neutrons, so we should only consider the protons. But that still gives the wrong answer.

And when I subtract the number of protons from the answer, I get 9x10-28, and I can't figure out where this number came from.
Do you think that the mass of a hydrogen atom might be affected by the presence of another particle, perhaps? Hint: Look at the list in the OP.
 
Hello? The hydrogen you created is a postively charged atom a which not good. soo