How to calculate the mass of a hydrogen atom

In summary, the answer to the question is 1.6734×10-24 (g) and to get this answer, the proton mass of 1.6725×10-24 was added to the neutron mass of 1.6748×10-24. However, it was later realized that hydrogen does not have any neutrons, so only the proton mass should be considered. When the number of protons was subtracted from the answer, it resulted in a small difference, possibly due to the presence of another particle affecting the mass of the hydrogen atom.
reemie
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
The answer according to my booklet is 1.6734×10-24 (g), but I don't understand how we got this answer.

proton: 1.6725×10-24
neutron: 1.6748×10-24
electron: 0.0009×10-24

To get the mass, I added protons with neutrons, but I got 3.3473×10-24.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think there is a neutron present?

Borek said:
Why do you think there is a neutron present?
Because the mass number is the sum of protons and neutrons, correct?

Edit:

I realized that hydrogen doesn't have any neutrons, so we should only consider the protons. But that still gives the wrong answer.

And when I subtract the number of protons from the answer, I get 9x10-28, and I can't figure out where this number came from.

Last edited:
reemie said:
Because the mass number is the sum of protons and neutrons, correct?

Edit:

I realized that hydrogen doesn't have any neutrons, so we should only consider the protons. But that still gives the wrong answer.

And when I subtract the number of protons from the answer, I get 9x10-28, and I can't figure out where this number came from.
Do you think that the mass of a hydrogen atom might be affected by the presence of another particle, perhaps? Hint: Look at the list in the OP.

Hello? The hydrogen you created is a postively charged atom a which not good. soo

FAQ: How to calculate the mass of a hydrogen atom

1. How do you calculate the mass of a hydrogen atom using the atomic mass unit?

The atomic mass unit (amu) is defined as 1/12th of the mass of a carbon-12 atom. To calculate the mass of a hydrogen atom, we need to know its atomic number, which is 1. Therefore, the mass of a hydrogen atom is 1 amu.

2. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a hydrogen atom?

The formula for calculating the mass of a hydrogen atom is: Mass of hydrogen atom (amu) = (Atomic number of hydrogen) x (Atomic mass unit).

3. Can the mass of a hydrogen atom vary?

The mass of a hydrogen atom can vary slightly due to the presence of isotopes. However, the most common isotope of hydrogen, known as protium, has a mass of 1 amu.

4. How does the mass of a hydrogen atom compare to other atoms?

The mass of a hydrogen atom is the lightest among all the elements on the periodic table. It is approximately 1/12th the mass of a carbon-12 atom, which is used as the standard for atomic mass units.

5. What are some common units used to express the mass of a hydrogen atom?

The most common unit used to express the mass of a hydrogen atom is the atomic mass unit (amu). However, the mass of a hydrogen atom can also be expressed in grams (g) or kilograms (kg) for larger quantities.