How to Calculate Transition Matrices for Symmetric 2x2 Matrices?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the transition matrix Ps,b for a vector space of symmetric 2x2 matrices with given bases S and B. The solution involved using the equation a = \alpha_{1}b_{1} + \alpha_{2}b_{2} + \alpha_{3}b_{3} +... + \alpha_{k}b_{k} to calculate Pb,s by creating an identity matrix and solving for the inverse. The conversation also briefly mentioned solving for Q1b) using matrices.
schmiggy

Homework Statement

Let V be the vector space of all symmetric 2x2 matrices, and consider the bases.
S = {
[1 0] [0 1] [0 0]
[0 0],[1 0],[0 1]}

B = {
[1 1] [-1 1] [1 0]
[1 2],[ 1 1],[0 1]}
of V.
Find the transition matrix Ps,b. Use your answer to calculate Pb,s.

Homework Equations

a = [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]_{1}[/itex]b[itex]_{1}[/itex] + [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex]b[itex]_{2}[/itex] + [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]_{3}[/itex]b[itex]_{3}[/itex] +... + [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]_{k}[/itex]b[itex]_{k}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to start. All previous questions like this we've dealt with vectors and not 2x2 matrices..

ie B = (1,3),(2,1)

(1,3) = 1(1,0) + 3(0,1) and (2,1) = 2(1,0) + 1(0,1)

So Ps,b = [1 2] and Pb,s is just the inverse of Ps,b = -1/5[1 -2]
[3 1] [-3 1]

But I don't know how to even start when I'm given 2x2 matrices..

Physics news on Phys.org
haha I am doing the same linear assignment. Thought id be awesome and let you know that Ps,b is {(1, -1, 1), (1, 1, 0), (2, 1, 1)}. make an identity matrix to solve the inverse to get Pb,s.

Haha yeah, I ended up figuring it out - I never usually get a response from this website, I don't know why, yours is the first one I've gotten so thanks.

Let me know if you need a hand with either of the other questions.

No worries mate, and actually I am pretty good for the other two, was just a bit unsure of Q1 b). did you manage to sus that?

For 1b) I got
[ 1 2 -1] [-1] = [0]
[-1 -1 1] [ 3] [3]
[-1 -3 2] [ 5] [2]

That's written out pretty garbagety, but hopefully you can decipher it.. it's Pb,s multiplied by (-1,3,5)

Related to How to Calculate Transition Matrices for Symmetric 2x2 Matrices?

What are transition matrices?

Transition matrices are mathematical tools used to describe the changes between states in a system. They are especially useful in analyzing the behavior of dynamic systems over time.

How are transition matrices used in science?

Transition matrices are commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and computer science to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They can help scientists understand how a system will evolve over time and make predictions about its future state.

What is the process for finding a transition matrix?

The process for finding a transition matrix involves identifying the states of a system and the probabilities of transitioning from one state to another. These probabilities are then organized into a matrix, with the rows representing the starting state and the columns representing the ending state. The matrix is then normalized to ensure that the probabilities add up to one.

What are the applications of transition matrices?

Transition matrices have many applications in science, including modeling population growth, predicting stock market trends, analyzing chemical reactions, and simulating the spread of diseases. They can also be used in machine learning algorithms and data analysis.

Are there any limitations to using transition matrices?

While transition matrices are a useful tool, they do have some limitations. They assume that the system being modeled is in a steady state, meaning that the probabilities of transitioning between states are constant over time. They also rely on accurate data and assumptions about the system, which may not always be available.