How to calculate vector angles and magnitude

In summary, Shyguy79 was trying to solve for the resultant magnitude and angle of two vectors, but lost track of what the x and y components were and needed help. He was then helped by Delphi51, who explained that you need to convert polar coordinates to cartesian coordinates, add the x and y components, and use the Pythagorean theorem and the trigonometry angle formulas. Finally, hallsofivy confirmed that the answer is correct.
jamesjames365
Ok I am a little stuck and really need some help as I am pretty new with physics...im not sure if this question is really simple or if i need a little algebra to help find the answer.

Q : 10 units, 30 degrees counterclockwise from the positive side of the x-axis
:25 units, 45 degrees clockwise from the negative side of the x-axis
Find the resultant magnitude and the angle of the two vectors.

Does this make sense?

Any help or advice would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Separate each vector into its x and y components; 10*cos(30) and 10*sin(30) for the first one. Add the components. Then sketch the components and find the combined vector magnitude using the pythagorean theorem and the angle using trigonometry.

wow thanks delphi51 but youre talking to someone who doesn't actually have a scientific calculator or knows how to do what you mention...thanks for the advice though, ill find a way.

ok i have 35.544 for the components then...im not sure

Sorry to jump in Delphi51... this way may be slightly longer but you get an appreciation for what is happening?

I usually convert the polar coordinates (10, 30 deg) into cartesian coordinates (x, y) by using a little trig (SOH CAH TOA)? You can then add these to get the resultant?

For example Sin θ = Opposite / Hypotenuese ... Cos θ = Adjacent / Hypotenuse ... is this ringing any bells yet?

It doesn't make sense to get "35.544 for the components".
You need TWO components for the first vector and TWO components for the second.
Then you add the x components and add the y components to get TWO totals for x and y. Show us all your work; we'll get you sorted out. Shyguy is saying the same thing I am, with more detail in case you don't understand why the x component of the first vector is 10*cos(30). If you are having difficulty with that, you will need to sketch that vector (draw accurately with a protractor if you can). Then draw sides to make it the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Measure the x and y sides if you can. Calculate them with sine and cosine.

Something like this...

Attachments

• Vector-example.jpg
    Vector-example.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 693
That diagram doesn't show the x and y components. I think you would only use that diagram if you were going to do it with Law of Sines and Law of Cosines.

Sorry, forgot to say - it's just meant to show the sketching of the resultant if done with a rule and protractor...

guys i have to say thank you for all the input but i really am starting maths again from scratch so I am reading up on the theorem a little before i jump in and try the equation...

You can use shyguy79's picture to solve the problem without components. You can see that the lower triangle (having the resultant vector as its top line) has two sides of length 10 and 25 and the angle between them is 180- (45+ 30)= 180- 75= 105 degrees. Use the cosine law: [itex]c^2= 10^2+ 25^2- 2(10)(25)cos(105)[/itex].

Once you know that length, you can use the sine law to find the angles.

HallsofIvy said:
You can use shyguy79's picture to solve the problem without components. You can see that the lower triangle (having the resultant vector as its top line) has two sides of length 10 and 25 and the angle between them is 180- (45+ 30)= 180- 75= 105 degrees. Use the cosine law: [itex]c^2= 10^2+ 25^2- 2(10)(25)cos(105)[/itex].

Once you know that length, you can use the sine law to find the angles.

What HallsofIvy said :wink:

My answer came out as
34.75 units at an angle of 40.69 degrees.
Is it correct? Please confirm

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude (the size or length of the vector) and direction. It is often represented as an arrow where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

What is the difference between vector magnitude and vector angle?

Vector magnitude refers to the size or length of a vector, while vector angle refers to the direction of the vector. In other words, vector magnitude describes how large the vector is, while vector angle describes the direction it is pointing in.

How do I calculate the magnitude of a vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. This involves squaring the x and y components of the vector, adding them together, and then taking the square root of the sum. The formula for calculating vector magnitude is: |V| = √(x^2 + y^2)

How do I calculate the angle of a vector?

The angle of a vector can be calculated using the inverse tangent function (tan^-1). First, you will need to determine the x and y components of the vector. Then, you can use the formula: θ = tan^-1 (y/x) to find the angle in radians. If you want the angle in degrees, you can convert it by multiplying by 180/π.

Is there a difference between vector angle and vector direction?

Yes, there is a difference between vector angle and vector direction. Vector angle refers to the angle of the vector in relation to a reference axis, while vector direction refers to the direction that the vector is pointing in. For example, a vector with an angle of 45 degrees could have a direction of north-east or south-west, depending on the reference axis chosen.