How to calulate heat transfer though multiple layers?

In summary: Hi chet. There is no insulation, oil against stainless steel against sand.Surface area of each "wall" that transfers the heat is 0.42m^2I am trying to calculate if the sand will conduct more heat away than open air, or if it will have an opposite, insulating effect The sand is slowly replaced so the rate of heat transfer plays a big role on deciding if it is a better solution.The sand will be a good insulator and will not conduct much heat away
Erik S
I am setting up a hydraulic system on a cable laying machine. We don't have much space for the tank, and I am thinking of constructing it on the "wall" og a big 1m^3 stainless steel sand holder. That would make the tank With 5 faces in open air, 1 face With sand on the opposite side.

I am wanting to calculate the heat loss I can expect though the steel wall to the sand mass. Specifically if this will be better or worse than being Oil/wall/air I have heat transfer values for the materials, I just don't know how to set up the an Equation for multiple layers..

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• heaty.jpg
    heaty.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 647
Science news on Phys.org
Well, start with the first layer, and use the heat transfer as a function of time and temperature to come up with an equation for the temperature of layer 2 as a function of time and the outside temperature. Repeat, and ultimately you will end up with the sand temperature as a function of time and temperature of the outside as well as the transfer rates of the layers in between.

I don't quite understand the geometry. My understanding is that you have a 1 m^3 tank filled with sand, and heat transfer takes place at one wall of the tank; all the other walls of the tank are insulated. What I don't get yet is what layers of materials are present outside that wall (and how thick)? (I don't need to know the details of the application).

Chet

Hi chet.

There is no insulation, oil against stainless steel against sand.

Surface area of each "wall" that transfers the heat is 0.42m^2

I am trying to calculate if the sand will conduct more heat away than open air, or if it will have an opposite, insulating effect

The sand is slowly replaced so the rate of heat transfer plays a big role on deciding if it is a better solution.

Erik S said:
I am trying to calculate if the sand will conduct more heat away than open air, or if it will have an opposite, insulating effect

I suspect you will find that sand will be a very good insulator and will not conduct much heat away
a quantity of sand is very porous ... lots of air gaps, therefore heat conduction will be very low

you would be better off if the steel plate was just much bigger/thicker. and even better would be the use of
a thick finned block of aluminium which is lots lighter and has a much lower thermal resistanceDave

Erik S said:
Hi chet.

There is no insulation, oil against stainless steel against sand.

Surface area of each "wall" that transfers the heat is 0.42m^2

The sand is slowly replaced so the rate of heat transfer plays a big role on deciding if it is a better solution.
Sorry. Still don't follow. It looks like davenn has figured out what the setup looks like and is being helpful, so I'm withdrawing.

Chet

1. How do I calculate heat transfer through multiple layers?

To calculate heat transfer through multiple layers, you will need to use the heat transfer equation, Q = U x A x (T2-T1). This equation takes into account the overall heat transfer coefficient (U), the surface area (A), and the temperature difference between the two sides (T2-T1). You will need to determine the individual heat transfer coefficients for each layer and then sum them together to get the overall U value.

2. What factors affect heat transfer through multiple layers?

The main factors that affect heat transfer through multiple layers are the thermal conductivity of the materials in each layer, the thickness of each layer, and the temperature difference between the two sides. The overall heat transfer coefficient also plays a role in determining the rate of heat transfer.

3. How do I determine the heat transfer coefficient for each layer?

The heat transfer coefficient for each layer can be determined by using the following equation: U = (1/h1) + (t1/k1) + (t2/k2) + ... + (tn/kn) + (1/h2). Here, h is the convective heat transfer coefficient, t is the thickness of the layer, and k is the thermal conductivity. You will need to calculate the individual values for each layer and then sum them together to get the overall U value.

4. What is the difference between conductive and convective heat transfer?

Conductive heat transfer occurs when heat is transferred through a solid material, such as a wall or a pipe. On the other hand, convective heat transfer occurs when heat is transferred through a fluid, such as air or water. In the case of multiple layers, both conductive and convective heat transfer may be present, so it is important to consider both when calculating the overall heat transfer.

5. How does the orientation of the layers affect heat transfer?

The orientation of the layers can affect heat transfer in a couple of ways. First, if the layers are stacked horizontally, there will be more surface area for heat transfer compared to if they were stacked vertically. Additionally, the orientation can also impact the overall heat transfer coefficient, as the flow of heat may be affected by the direction of the layers. It is important to consider the orientation when calculating heat transfer through multiple layers.